Top 5 Best Castor Oils 2020:
- Sky Organics Castor Oil USDA Organic Cold-Pressed
- Heritage Store Organic Castor Oil Cold-Pressed
- NOW Solutions Castor Oil
- Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Home Health Original Castor Oil
Believe it or not, there is so much more to castor oil beyond its laxative benefits. In the last few years, more and more people have begun using castor oil for many different beauty treatments, as it is very versatile. So, it doesn’t come as a surprise that castor oil has become very popular overnight.
The castor oil will keep you healthy from both inside and outside! This almost magical oil is rich in omega-6, omega-9, and vitamin E; thus, it can nourish and hydrate your skin and hair. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Castor oil is made from extracting oil from the seeds of the Ricinus communis plant. The seeds are known as castor beans that contain a toxic enzyme called ricin. However, the castor oil is safe to consume because once the oil and the grain are separated, the toxin remains in the grain and not in the oil.
In ancient Egypt, it was used to induce labor, as a natural remedy for skin and eye irritations and as a fuel for lamps. Today, it has finally found its way to the industrial, pharmaceutical, and medical world that it deserves.
Have you tried using it as a part of your beauty routine? If not, you shouldn’t wait for any second longer! To help you find the right castor oil, we created this list of the top five best castor oils and some tips and tricks on how to properly use it.
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Castor Oils In 2020
1. Sky Organics Castor Oil USDA Organic Cold-Pressed – Best Overall
After thorough research, we can say that this is the best castor oil by far! It is 100% pure cold-pressed castor oil and even USDA Certified organic!
Sky Organics Castor Oil is unrefined, and it means that it has no added ingredients such as fragrance, alcohol, or preservatives. This castor oil is also hexane-free hence it is perfect for dry and sensitive skin. Since it has fatty acids, it nourishes and moisturizes the scalp and supports healthy hair. The oil itself has a very viscous and thick texture, so it is best if you mix it with some other spreadable oils.
It also promotes hair growth! Although some people say it takes time before you can see any real results, and some of them complain that their hair becomes thicker. So,in order to prevent allergic reactions, we strongly suggest applying a small amount of oil on the back of your hand and wait for at least 24 hours. If it’s alright, then you’re good to go! One more disadvantage of this product is that it isn’t for internal use. Therefore, you should always read the product description just to be extra safe.
The bottle contains 16 ounces of castor oil, and it is made of plastic materials. For this reason, we believe the packaging could improve to glass materials.
- Doesn’t have harmful chemicals
- Improves scalp and hair health
- Best for sensitive skin
- Some users complaint their hair went thinner
- Plastic bottle
- For external use only
2. Heritage Store Organic Castor Oil Cold-Pressed – Our Premium Pick
There are indeed excellent reasons why this Heritage Store Organic Castor Oil is our runner up! First of all, it’s one of the rare castor oils packaged in a glass bottle rather than a plastic container. That is because, all-natural oils should be kept in the dark glass bottles because the oil can absorb the chemicals from the plastic. But don’t worry, high-density plastic is commonly used when packaging products such as castor oil, so it’s unlikely to happen, but there is still a slight chance.
This oil comes in a big package of 32 ounces, but you can also order the 16 ounces size. The oil is packaged in the dark glass bottle with the label of the company’s logo in vibrant colors. This oil is hexane-free, thus free of all chemicals, and it can be used internally. It is also cold-pressed, certified organic and vegan, and cruelty-free oil. The consistency of the oil is thick, and it has a strong ricin smell that some users may find unpleasant.
As it gently hydrates, it gives smooth, vibrant skin and healthier hair. Another great thing about this castor oil is that you can treat your eye diseases as the doctors recommend it! It is also known for reducing pain and inflammation, and it proved very successful in cleaning stomach parasites and bacteria such as candida.
- Amber glass package
- Hexane free
- Treats chronic dry eye
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Cleans out candida and parasites
- It’s slightly more expensive than other castor oils
- Strong ricin smell
3. NOW Solutions Castor Oil – Best Budget-Friendly
One of the most affordable castor oils on the market yet very efficient is NOW Solutions Castor Oil. Unlike other castor oils with a strong unpleasant smell, this one is odorless! Also, you can use this oil internally, and it’s said to have a pleasant taste.
This castor oil is 100% pure, and it is expeller pressed. That means that no heat was used during the extraction of the oil, and also a screw press is used rather than chemicals. The bottle is made of plastic, and it has 16 ounces of oil. Some users complain that the bottle is very prone to leakage, so you should be careful when storing it. The design is simple, and the label contains all the needed information on the back of the product.
A surprisingly good but essential factor is that this oil regrows new hair very fast, as some users have said. It’s also perfect for thickening your eyebrows and for getting longer and bolder lashes. It is also proven to be useful in getting rid of warts. Furthermore, some people give this and many other similar castor oils to their pats, as it has antibacterial properties and prevents fungal infections.
- Doesn’t have bad smell or taste
- Regrows eyebrows and hair very fast
- Good density and thickness
- Comes in a plastic bottle
- The bottle is prone to leakage
4. Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil – Amongst The Top Rated
Reasonably priced but also amongst the top-rated and a great choice is the Jamaican Black Castor Oil by Tropic Isle Living. This company first introduced the Jamaican black castor oil over 25 years ago!
This castor oil is packaged in a dark plastic bottle, and it comes in a small package of 8 ounces. We believe these two things are the only downsides of this product!
Black castor oil is made from hand-processed castor beans that are boiled and roasted. The consistency of this brown oil is slightly thick, and some users say it has a burnt wood smell that some of them may find unpleasant. Other than that, this Jamaican castor oil treats alopecia, because it strengthens the hair follicles. It is also used frequently for dry and severely damaged hair. Your hair will be shiny and bouncy in no time, as this product adds sheen and luster to your hair!
Another important thing is that this Jamaican castor oil is very gentle to your skin as it heals and repairs scar tissue. Antifungal properties protect your nails, and this castor oil supports nail growth and creates a protective coating on the surface. It doesn’t say anything about the internal usage, so it is best if you use it for external uses only, just to be safe.
- Treats alopecia
- For dry and very damaged hair
- Ads sheen and luster to your hair
- Repairs scar tissue
- Antifungal properties
- Comes in a plastic bottle
- Has a slightly burnt wood smell
- Small package
5. Home Health Original Castor Oil – Good Value For The Price
Another very efficient but yet affordable castor oil is the Original Castor Oil by Home Health. This oil is another one from this list that is one of those rare castor oils that has a pleasant scent.
Home Health’s Original castor oil comes in packages of 8, 16 and even 32 ounces! The design of the bottle is simple yet aesthetically pleasing. The downside of this oil is that it comes in a plastic container prone to leakage, as some users may confirm.
This yellowish, thick oil nourishes your hair and leaves it very soft and silky. For this reason, it is supposedly one of the best castor oils on the market for getting smooth and shiny hair. It also penetrates deep into your skin, leaving it soft and moisturized. Moreover, it works wonders to your feet because it nourishes and repairs dry and cracked calluses. This castor oil also treats scars, dry, and dandruff prone scalp, and it’s perfect for split ends!
Apart from that, it is 100% pure castor oil with no solvents added, such as hexane. It is natural, cold-pressed, and non-GMO emollient castor oil.
Many people also make compresses for inflamed skin, wound healing, and massages. As it is stated in the product description, you should use this product only for external uses. We believe that this is the second and the last disadvantage of this product.
- Hair becomes very soft
- Helps in treating scars
- Nice scent
- For external use only
- Plastic bottle
- The bottle is prone to leakage
Things To Consider Before You Buy Castor Oil
There are three main types of castor oil, depending on how they were processed.
Organic Cold-Pressed Castor Oil
- If no heat is used when extracting oil from castor seeds, it is called a cold-pressed process. While the heat-pressing is often used, it can degrade the nutrients from the seeds. The cold-pressed process assures that all nutrients remain present. The color of this type is pale yellow. .
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- The seeds in this process are first roasted and then pressed for oil. The black color comes from ashes that were left from roasting and later mixed with oil. This type of castor oil has the same nutritional value as cold-pressed, although it has higher alkalinity.
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
- Hydrogenated Castor Oil or castor wax comes from hydrogenating pure castor oil with a little help of nickel catalyst. This oil is insoluble in water, it is odorless and flimsy. You can purchase it in many cosmetics, polishes, and varnishes.
- Castor oils that are pure are free of artificial ingredients such as fragrances and alcohol. That is a significant factor that you should always consider when buying castor oil. So, make you always read the label information on the back of your product.
3. Hexane Free
- Hexane is a chemical solvent that is used to extract oil from the seeds, in this case, castor seeds. This solvent may cause impurities and affect the quality of the oil. As this is also a crucial factor, always look for products that are hexane-free.
4. Certified Organic
- The certified organic label means that castor seeds come from a natural environment and that there was no usage of growth enhancers or fertilizers. That is why you should aim to choose castor oil with a USDA Certified Organic label. It is because the organic product always uses natural ingredients and no synthetics.
- Pale pressed or as many people call it ‘virgin oil,’ is usually very thin and diluted and comes from the first pressing of the seeds. For the best quality, you should always make sure it is cold-pressed.
- This means that the first pressing is mixed with the next batch of seeds, and the process is repeated multiple times.
How To Apply/Use Castor Oil
For The Hair
- The things could get messy, so the first thing to make sure is to protect your clothes and work area from staining. You can use paper towels or regular towels and put it around your shoulders and perhaps some on the area around you.
- The oils are best absorbed when the hair or skin is dry, as it can have the opposite effect. Therefore, dampen your hair and brush it thoroughly to avoid tangles.
- A couple of tablespoons is enough, and you can also mix it with other oils to create a mask. If you want to apply it easier, always heat the oil. That will also draw out its beneficial ingredients.
Place your oil in the bowl, dip your fingers in it and then massage your scalp with it for 3-5 minutes and spread it to the rest of your hair. You can leave it for 15 minutes, a few hours or even overnight.
For The Skin
- Castor oil can prevent wrinkles and soothe problematic skin. It is amongst the best oils for the oil cleansing method.
- You can apply castor oil on damp or dry skin. Just simply massage it in circular motions. You can steam your face before using, to open your pores and help the oil absorb better in your skin.
For Internal Use
- You can also take castor oil by mouth as it is the best natural laxative. Just mix 15 ml of castor oil with some juice to mask the unpleasant taste. It works very quickly, as it takes 2-6 hours to see the results.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
There are many benefits of castor oil, and people have used it for thousands of years. Besides its medical usage, today it is commonly used in the beauty industry. It is the best natural elixir for beautiful hair and skin because it contains a lot of vitamins.
Most of them are made of high-quality ingredients and are usually very affordable. So, you can imagine it wasn’t easy choosing only five of them, but whichever you decide to purchase from this list won’t disappoint you. Without further ado, let’s review our top 5 picks!
Best Overall: Sky Organics Castor Oil USDA Organic Cold-Pressed
- This 100% organic castor oil is one of the best castor oils out there. It is also USDA Certified Organic and 100% pure and cold-pressed. Sky Organics Castor Oil is the best solution for hair and eyelashes growth because it gives incredible results!
Our Premium Pick: Heritage Store Organic Castor Oil Cold-Pressed
- Heritage Store Organic Castor Oil is definitely worth every penny. It doesn’t have an unpleasant ricin smell, and it is best for your skincare and hair nurture. What’s more, It comes in a glass bottle of 32 ounces, and it is hexane-free!
Budget-Friendly Choice: NOW Solutions Castor Oil
- This castor oil offers the best value for money. For only 9 dollars, you will say goodbye to split ends, and you will have long, thick lashes! Moreover, it is a multi-purpose oil, thus you can also use it in food.