Top 5 Best Illuminating Moisturizers 2021:
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer
- NEOCUTIS Lumière Illuminating Eye Cream
- Neutrogena Bright Boost Resurfacing Micro Polish Illuminating Facial Serum
- Olay Luminous Light Hydrating Face Lotion
- Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer
Illuminating powders and compacts have been around for quite some time, but they earned their fair share of popularity only in the last decade. Now, there are thousands of different illuminators on the market.
What is so great about them is that they put a discreet accent on your face’s best features, but without the hassle of contouring. You can just apply some to your cheekbones, under your brow, and on your Cupid’s bow – and you’re done!
Illuminators are also amazing when you’re rocking bare skin today. There’s no need for lots of products to apply some illuminator – you can do it to a makeup-less face to achieve that glowy, healthy skin look.
So, since this is a thing for a few years now, illuminating moisturizers were invented. They give your face a glow with tiny shiny particles. Plus, they moisturize your face.
You get two products in one – your face looks great and you don’t need two or more products to achieve. So it’s convenient if you don’t like to hoard a lot of products.
But, there are so many on the market – making it hard to pick just one. Well, lucky for you we researched the best illuminating moisturizers for you. Continue reading to find out our top picks on illuminating moisturizers and how to choose one for your needs!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Illuminating Moisturizers In 2021
1. L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer – Best Illuminating Moisturizer
L’Oreal Paris is one of the largest cosmetic manufacturers in the world. It’s one of our favorites, too – and for a few reasons, too.
We loved the True Match line of products ever since the full-coverage liquid foundation came out and the Lumi Glotion is no different. This product gives instant results as soon as you apply it – the glow is real with the Lumi Glotion!
Lumi Glotion is tinted and it is available in four shades – enough to fit a wide range of skin tones. It can be used in three different ways: worn alone, under foundation as a primer or it can be used as a body illuminator!
Of course – this product has moisturizing agents – glycerin, shea butter, and an occlusive called dimethicone. This combination will be more than enough for normal, oily, and dry skin without skin conditions.
Lumi Glotion has a non-comedogenic formula. That means it doesn’t contain any ingredients that could cause breakouts. On the other hand, it contains alcohol denat. – not enough that normal skin types would mind, but sensitive skin could get some irritations from it.
- Moisturizes and illuminates
- Four different shades available
- Three possible uses
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
2. NEOCUTIS Lumière Illuminating Eye Cream – Best Illuminating Moisturizer For Eye Area
NEOCUTIS Lumiere Illuminating eye cream is our top choice for a high-end illuminating moisturizer. Unlike the rest, this moisturizer is made for one specific area – the eyes.
How many of us are guilty of neglecting the eye area? Because of that, that area can become dull over time. But, this illuminating moisturizer will help restore radiance in your eye area and make you look well-rested.
The advanced formula is made to target skin problems like puffiness, early wrinkles around the eyes, and free radical damage. Thankfully, Lumiere is full of antioxidants like vitamin E to protect your skin from environmental damage.
Vitamin E helps restore broken bonds in your skin and regenerate skin cells. Hyaluronic acid moisturizes and attracts water to the top layers of the skin. So, as a result, your skin is plump, illuminated, and looking younger than ever!
This eye cream is suitable for all skin types. Do note that it’s targeted at mature skin, but it’s easier to prevent wrinkles than it is to remove them!
- Illuminates the eye area
- Moisturizes and removes puffiness
- Wrinkle control
- Suitable for all skin types
None that we could find!
3. Neutrogena Bright Boost Resurfacing Micro Polish Illuminating Facial Serum – Best Illuminating Serum
Neutrogena is one of our top brands of skincare. Ever since the pink grapefruit facial wash, we’ve been in love with their products!
Of course, the Bright Boost line was no different. And the illuminating facial serum? An absolute winner in our affordable category!
Sure, not all of us can splurge on many expensive products for our skin. Luckily, skincare doesn’t have to cost a lot of money – this product is the perfect example.
This unique formula has an ingredient called neoglucosamine – which is used to brighten and illuminate the skin. Other notable ingredients are hyaluronic acid and naturally derived Turmeric extract.
The Turmeric extract will gently exfoliate the skin. The result is – the skin is plump and silky smooth.
The serum is full of tiny sparkles which will make your skin look even healthier. You can wear it alone or under foundation.
The formula is oil-free, alcohol-free, and non-comedogenic, so it’s ideal for acne-prone skin, too. It’s suitable for all skin types but it has some fragrance in it, so it might upset sensitive skin.
- Moisturizes and exfoliates
- Suitable for most skin types
- Brightens skin in the long run
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
4. Olay Luminous Light Hydrating Face Lotion – Best Illuminating Moisturizer For Dark Spots
Olay is a household name for skincare products. When anyone’s in doubt what moisturizer to buy, Olay is usually the one they’ll go to.
Olay’s Luminous line is targeted at creating a glowy, dewy appearance to the skin. Its use is more specific than other illuminating moisturizers in this article.
First, it evens the skin tone to create a more polished look. The formula has vitamin B3, which gently exfoliates the skin to remove the dark spots. The provitamin B5 protects the skin from free radicals and prevents aging.
The illuminating lotion is fast-absorbing. So, remember when you’re in a rush in the morning and waiting for the lotion to dry to continue to your makeup? That simply doesn’t happen with the Olay Luminous!
Olay’s illuminating moisturizer has a few moisturizing agents. Panthenol and dimethicone will lock in the moisture and give you a fabulous glow!
The product is targeted for fading dark spots and evening out the skin. It’s suitable for normal to oily and acne-prone skin types, but not dry and sensitive.
- Removes dark spots
- Illuminates and moisturizes
- Suitable for normal and oily skin types
- Not suitable for dry and sensitive skin
5. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer – Best Tinted Illuminating Moisturizer
Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer to one of the best illuminating moisturizers out there. And it’s the winner in our ‘tinted illuminating moisturizer’ category!
So, this product offers a glow and some coverage. How cool! If you want a product that moisturizes, illuminates, and offers some coverage – pick Jergens!
This product even has an SPF – how amazing! With SPF 20, you don’t need a whole other product to protect you from the sun!
Natural Glow is available in two shades – light to medium and medium to tan. The color adjusts to your skin tone to create a flawless and seamless look. This moisturizer offers light, sheer coverage.
It has two moisturizing agents – dimethicone and glycerin. Glycerin will give your skin a moisture kick, and dimethicone will prevent your skin from drying out!
The formula doesn’t contain alcohol, parabens, or fragrance. To conclude, this product is ideal for many skin types looking to get their glow on!
However, do note that acne-prone skin types should use this product with caution. In some cases, Jergens’ illuminating moisturizer can cause breakouts.
- Moisturizes and illuminates
- It’s tinted, offers light coverage
- Suitable for most skin types, even dry and sensitive
- Two shades
- Not suitable for acne-prone skin
What To Look For In An Illuminating Moisturizer
Picking a good regular moisturizer is never easy. Usually, we buy at least two to three tubes of moisturizer before we finally settle on one that works for us.
If you’re younger, you’re still struggling with hormones and probably some acne – which makes it even harder to choose. Some moisturizers don’t do the job of moisturizing, and others give you even more acne.
So, you want to pick a moisturizer (an illuminating one, to be exact) according to your skin type, and not according to the stuff it says on the box. So, do you know what your skin type is?
|Normal skin||No major skin issuesDewy appearance|
|Sensitive skin||Reactive to products, resulting in breakouts and dry patchesItchy and very dry skinUsually has red patches – sensitive skin has skin conditions like rosacea or dermatitis|
|Acne-prone skin||Products can cause flare-upsUsually normal to oily skin – but it’s caused by a hormonal imbalance (or sensitivity)|
|Dry skin||Similar to sensitive skin, but without any skin conditionsFeels tight in the morningLooks dull, no dewy appearanceMay have rough or dry patches|
|Oily skin||Shiny, slick in the morningEnlarged poresProne to blackheads and acne|
Now, you should have a better idea of what your skin needs – more moisturizing or it needs to be gentle not to cause even more problems.
Are you a K-beauty lover? If you are, you must check out our article on the best Korean CC creams.
Ingredients – What To Avoid
- The ingredients list is the first thing to check once you start to like a certain product. You can like it all you want, but if it has ingredients that are no good for you – what is the point?
- The first thing we wanted to talk about is alcohol. Alcohol is usually used in cosmetics as a preservative, but it simply doesn’t belong in your skin routine.
- It will dry out your skin and if your skin is sensitive, it will cause more flare-ups, more red and dry patches, and so on. You can find it in the ingredients list stated like alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, and alcohol denat.
- Don’t pay attention to alcohols like cetyl or benzyl alcohol – those are good for your skin!
- Furthermore, look for ‘fragrance’ or ‘perfume’ stated in the ingredients. They may add an attractive scent to your moisturizer, but they can also cause your skin to dry out or worse. They can also cause skin allergies and irritations.
- Next up, let’s talk about parabens. Parabens are also used in cosmetics as preservatives, which seems okay – but why are they something that should be avoided?
- Well, some studies showed that parabens can cause cancer. Some others were inconclusive, but either way, let’s avoid them. Look for stuff like butylparaben, methylparaben, and propylparaben in the ingredients list.
Ingredients List – What To Look For
- Well, some things are always good to be included in the ingredients list of your daily moisturizer. Let’s talk about those things.
- The first thing you should look for is some moisturizing agents. Moisturizing agents can be divided into humectants, emollients, and occlusives. They all play a different role in keeping your skin plump and radiant.
- So, stuff like glycerin and hyaluronic acid attracts water the surface and the deeper layers of the skin to moisturize the top layers. This results in your skin being moisturized and preventing those first wrinkles.
- Perfectly moisturized skin ages more slowly than skin that aches for water. Moreover, moisturized skin is less likely to receive sun damage.
- Let’s check out the moisturizing agents, explained:
|Humectants||Attract water from the deep skin layers and the air|
Hyaluronic acid, glycerin
|Emollients||Smoothen skin – fill the rough spots, dry patches|
Ceramides, jojoba oil
|Occlusives||Form a protective layer to prevent moisture loss|
Dimethicone, mineral oil
- A combination of all three makes a good moisturizer. Do note that a large number of occlusives in a facial cream can be comedogenic – so if you have acne-prone or oily skin – be careful!
- Another thing we wanted to put an accent on – SPF. SPF is so important, we cannot stress it enough.
- Wearing SPF prevents photoaging and skin cancer. Did you know that most of those fine lines are caused by UVA rays? So, if you want your skin to retain its supple, plump look – look for an illuminating moisturizer with SPF.
- SPF is fairly easy to spot in the ingredients list. It’s usually stated like: zinc oxide, Tinosorb M, Tinosorb S, or Tinosorb A2B.
- Furthermore, don’t be fooled by those ads saying you should only wear sunscreen during the summer. SPF is required every time you go out, even during winter!
- If you have somewhat sensitive skin or you’re dealing with one or several skin conditions – we feel for you. It cannot be easy – as most commercial products don’t do much for your skin. So, sensitive skin deserves its section.
- It takes a good investment of money to help your skin look and feel something close to normal. So, if you want an illuminating moisturizer, there are a few things to keep in mind before you choose.
- First off, look for tags ‘hypoallergenic’, ‘paraben-free’, ‘alcohol-free’, ‘fragrance-free’. This will narrow the search but it will also help you find one that will make you dewy and more confident – and not cause flare-ups!
- Do note that the tags can lie – you have to check the ingredients list as well, to make sure the product is truly free of those pesky chemicals!
- In need of a new face wash? Check out our article on top face washes to use with Clarisonic!
Best Illuminating Moisturizer – Conclusion
To conclude, we’ve thoroughly reviewed our top five illuminating moisturizers. This was an incredibly tough task – there are so many great products out there! We could hardly pick just five. But now is not the moment to complain – we should pronounce the best of the best illuminating moisturizers now. Without any further ado, here are our top choices for an illuminating moisturizer:
- True Match Lumi Glotion is the true winner in the illuminating moisturizers contest! It’s available for a range of skin tones, suitable for most skin types… what’s not to love in this L’Oreal product?
Premium Pick: NEOCUTIS Lumière Illuminating Eye Cream
- NEOCUTIS is our top choice for a premium, high-end illuminating moisturizer. This product goes the extra mile for your eye area. It improves the visual appearance in the long run!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Neutrogena Bright Boost Resurfacing Micro Polish Facial Exfoliator
- Neutrogena made the unique formula for an illuminating serum – which is the best illuminator in for an affordable price. It illuminates but it also brightens the skin with gentle exfoliation!