Top 5 Best Lotions For Black Skin 2020:
- OGX Extra Creamy + Coconut Miracle Oil Hand-to-Heel Body Cream
- Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion
- Vaseline Intensive Care Hand And Body Lotion
- NIVEA Skin Firming & Toning Body Gel-Cream
- Eucerin Advanced Repair Lotion
We all start aging at some point. It’s simply inevitable, no matter how hard we try to ignore that. Skincare has been a booming industry for decades, even centuries.
Everyone wants to hold off aging as long as possible. We’re no different, and we suspect you are, too. The key ingredient for healthy, radiant-looking skin is using a good lotion.
Finding a good lotion is never easy. Especially if you’re dealing with some skin conditions – it gets even harder.
Black skin needs a little less care SPF-wise, but it needs to be cared for as well as any other skin color. Don’t be fooled: even if your skin is dark, you need SPF!
SPF protects from sun damage, which is a real threat to any skin color. But, how are you supposed to pick a body lotion?
There are so many options out there. What are even the best lotions for black skin in the year?
Luckily, we did the work for you! We picked the best lotion for black skin, and we found five amazing choices! All you have to do is read our article to find out!
Check out our top picks for an illuminating moisturizer.
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Lotion For Black Skin In 2020
1. OGX Extra Creamy + Coconut Miracle Oil Hand-to-Heel Body Cream – Best Coconut Lotion
OGX is a great cosmetics that produces various products related to skin and hair care. We loved their coconut oil line for hair, so it was no surprise we loved the body lotion as well.
It’s so good it won our ‘best lotion for black skin’ category. We all know that black skin needs some love and OGX is delivered.
This body cream moisturizes even the very dry skin, and the results are immediate. It’s also fast-absorbing, so it’s good to know that it won’t leave stains on your clothes when you leave in the morning in a hurry.
The whole line is enriched with coconut oil, which is a great moisturizing agent. The formula also has tiare essence and vanilla bean extract.
Not only will your skin feel and look good, but you will also smell good! This coconut oil miracle line has even a body mist, to get your coconut, summery scent on.
Also, the formula contains ceramides, and we all know how important they are in keeping your skin moisturized. They strengthen the skin barrier so your skin is less likely to become flaky again. All ingredients are carefully monitored and created cruelty-free.
- Moisturizing formula
- Contains ceramides
- Good for dry skin
- None that we could find!
2. Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion – Best Lotion For Dry Skin
Lubriderm has been one of those go-to brands when you’re dealing with some skin issues. If you live in a climate where it gets really cold during the winter, you know how your skin gets almost flaky during the colder days.
Lubriderm created products that specifically target the super-dry skin types. Did you know this brand is developed by dermatologists?
This bottle ought to last you a good while since it has 16 ounces! Nobody wants to go out and buy body lotion every week.
This fantastic body lotion has vitamin E and provitamin B5. These vitamins play an important role in repairing the skin barrier and removing those pesky flakes.
Another great thing about this formula are the skin-essential lipids. They keep the moisturizing agents in your skin, and that’s the reason why this lotion offers 24 hours of great moisturization!
Don’t worry, the lipids won’t make your skin feel greasy. The lotion has a creamy, lightweight feel. It has a long-term effect on your skin, as it becomes less likely to become dehydrated and flaky. Do note that the pump is made of cheap plastic and can break.
- 24 hours of moisturization
- Non-greasy feel
- Large bottle
- Offers long-term effects
- Cheap pump
3. Vaseline Intensive Care Hand And Body Lotion – Best Value Pack
Vaseline is one of those brands that everyone knows about. Regular vaseline is a product that has been a bestseller ever since it came out, but now the brand produces body lotions.
Another great thing about it is that investing in this product doesn’t require breaking the bank. It’s affordable, but it does a great job of moisturizing your skin.
This formula is enriched with cocoa butter. Cocoa butter is an amazing emollient that gives your skin resistance to cold weather and hard water. Cocoa butter also gives your skin that healthy glow.
The formula contains vaseline – an occlusive which keeps your skin moisturized for at least a day. Even with vaseline, the formula is light and non-greasy. Also, this lotion is fast-absorbing so it’s ideal for those who are always running late.
This is the largest bottle of body lotion that made it to our list. At 20.3 fluid ounces, you’re set for at least two months moisturizer-wise!
The only downside is that there’s always some lotion left that the pump cannot reach. It’s also tough to get it out even when you unscrew the pump.
- Large bottle
- Contains cocoa butter and vaseline
- Impossible to use all of the product
4. NIVEA Skin Firming & Toning Body Gel-Cream – Best Skin Firming Lotion
Nivea is one of the most famous brands for skin-care. They created so many bestsellers, and their Labello lip balms certainly are no different.
The same story is with the Skin Firming gel-cream. We loved this product, without a doubt. It’s kind of a 2-in-1 product, it serves as a firming and moisturizing lotion.
The primary use of this lotion is firming and toning the skin. The first results can be seen in as little as two weeks, but continuous use is advised to get the best possible results. Nivea recommends using this product twice a day, in the morning and at night.
The skin is left feeling soft and supple, thanks to ingredients like Q10, which also prevents aging. The additional ingredient called L-carnitine works its way to make your skin firm and better-looking.
The formula is lightweight and non-greasy. It absorbs pretty fast, too. So if you’re in a rush in the morning, you rest assured this product will soak in your skin within seconds.
The only con of this product? It has a strong scent. For some, it may be fine, but some people might find it very repugnant.
- Results in two weeks
- Good, moisturizing formula
- Non-greasy feel
5. Eucerin Advanced Repair Lotion – Best For Very Dry And Sensitive Skin
Eucerin is one of the most famous high-end brands for all things skin-care related. Those who truly struggle with skin conditions or challenging skin types know how hard it can get to pick some product that simply does the job.
People who have sensitive or very dry skin know what we’re talking about. How many times did you buy some lotion that promised it’s suitable for dry skin, only to find out it causes bad flareups?
Five? Ten? We know how it feels. Thankfully, there are brands like Eucerin that include everyone and every skin type.
Eucerin’s lotion is fragrance-free, so it will not cause your skin to look and feel even worse. It’s enriched with ceramides – powerful emollients.
Emollients work to smoothen your skin and remove dry and rough spots. In other words, ceramides fill in the blanks. It also works to keep your skin barrier healthy and prevent future dry spots.
The formula also has powerful occlusives, which is the reason why this lotion offers up to two days of amazing moisturization. It’s and fast-absorbing, which is something we deem important as well.
However, this product has a greasy feel. Keep that in mind if you’re serious about buying this item.
- Contains ceramides
- Two-day moisturization
- Lotion feels greasy
How To Choose A Lotion For Black Skin
As we said, choosing a lotion can be ungrateful and unreasonably hard. It can be super annoying, especially if you’re dealing with acne-prone skin.
Let us start by saying you do need a lotion. This isn’t like yet another nail polish or whatever. Everyone needs a body lotion.
A moisturized skin is a good-looking skin. But first, to choose a lotion, you must know what your skin type is.
Let’s check out the table:
|Normal skin||No major skin issues, a few pimples or blackheads are fineDewy look|
|Sensitive skin||Flareups and dry patchesItchy and very dry looking skinUsually has red patches – sensitive skin has skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, or dermatitis|
|Acne-prone skin||Unsuitable products can cause flareupsUsually normal to oily skin – but it’s caused by a hormonal imbalance (or sensitivity to products)|
|Dry skin||Similar to sensitive skin, minus the skin conditionsFeels tight in the morningLooks dull, no dewy appearanceMay have rough or dry patches|
|Oily skin||Shiny, oily-looking skin in the morningEnlarged poresProne to blackheads and acneReactive to products|
Now, with this table, you can get a better idea of what your skin type is. Generally speaking, it’s not hard to figure out – but you can visit a dermatologist to get some pointers.
There is a worldwide known myth that oily and acne-prone skin types don’t need moisturizing. That’s not true – because these skin types can get just as dehydrated for example, dry skin.
These skin types become more oily when dehydrated. Oily skin is slick because it produces extra sebum (oil found in skin layers) to make up for the lack of water in the deeper skin layers. The same thing is with the acne-prone skin, but it can get even worse breakouts when it’s facing dehydration.
Of course, your skin is not likely to be oily on your body, mostly your face. If you struggle with body acne, you have to be extra careful about using greasy lotions, as they can cause severe breakouts.
What To Avoid In An Ingredients List
- You can’t possibly think you can buy a product without looking at the ingredients list? Of course, you can’t! Products don’t do stuff as they promise on the box – it can all be a marketing trick!
- The first thing we wanted to put an accent on is alcohol. Alcohol should never be a part of your skin routine…ever. It dries out and can even irritate sensitive skin.
- People who have sensitive skin have to pay extra attention because it can make dermatitis or eczema can get bad flareups from alcohol. Alcohol is listed as isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), alcohol or alcohol denat. (denaturalized alcohol).
- On the other hand, don’t be worried about stuff like cetyl or benzyl alcohol. Those are fatty alcohol which keeps the water inside your skin, in other words, they are good for you!
- Avoid perfume or fragrance listed in the ingredients. They can dry out perfectly normal skin, or they can even give you an allergy or irritation. Sensitive skin types are especially prone to flareups due to fragrance.
- Last, but not least, things that should be avoided are parabens. They used to be highly popular as preservatives in cosmetics, but they are not the best option for this.
- Some studies showed that parabens can cause cancer. Some others did not, but let’s avoid parabens either way.
- Next up, let’s talk about parabens. Parabens are also used in cosmetics as preservatives, which seems okay – but why are they something that should be avoided?
Ingredients List – What To Look For
- These are the things that your daily lotion should always have. To say in other words, these are the things that make a lotion worth having.
- First, look for some moisturizing ingredients. They can either be humectants, emollients, and occlusives. They all play a different role in making your skin look good.
- Humectants attract water from the deeper skin layers and air into the top layers of your skin. Hyaluronic acid and glycerin are the most popular humectants out there.
- Emollients work their way to smooth out the skin – they fill the rough spots and dry patches. The best emollients are jojoba oil and ceramides.
- Occlusives work as a moisturizer in a way that they form a protective layer to prevent losing water from your skin. They also protect your skin from external factors. The most popular occlusives are dimethicone (a type of silicone) and mineral oils.
- In need of a lip balm? Check out our article on top choices for a lip balm for dark lips.
- Good-looking, moisturized skin is less likely to experience premature aging. Also, it’s less likely to get sun damage.
- Moreover, ingredients like vitamin C and E work on creating a better look overall. They work their way to smooth out your skin and give you that healthy glow.
Best Lotion For Black Skin – Conclusion
So, we did it – we found the best lotion for dark skin! Whew, this was not easy – there are so many great options out there.
It was no easy task to pick out the top ones. But, now is not the time to complain. Actually, this is the time to pronounce the best of the best. So, without any further delay, here they are:
- OGX won our ‘best overall’ category, because of the best value for money. It does a great job at moisturizing while smelling like a tropical forest – there are no cons for this lotion!
Premium Pick: Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion
- Lubriderm is our luxury, high-end choice for a body lotion for black skin. This dermatologist-developed brand created one of the best products out there!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Vaseline Intensive Care Hand And Body Lotion
- Vaseline’s body lotion has been an absolute winner in our ‘affordable’ category. It’s affordable and comes in a very large bottle, so you’re set lotion-wise for a while, without getting the credit card involved!