Top 5 Best Toners For Men 2022:
- Thayers Facial Toner
- Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
- Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner
- InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Toner
- Bioré Witch Hazel Pore Clarifying Toner
Truth be told, toners are often misunderstood. Most men haven’t got a clue about toner’s real purpose. But they are the critical step between cleansing your skin and serums and moisturizers.
You see, toners are not used for tightening your pores. Instead, toners will purge your pores of any lingering excess oil, dirt, and bacteria. They will help balance the skin’s natural PH. Without it, all other steps in your skincare routine won’t matter as your skin won’t be adequately prepared.
Now, you may be wondering – which toner should I buy? Don’t worry; you’ve come to the right place as we will be discussing this topic in detail! We’ve created a list of 5 best toners for men and provided you with some handy tips on picking the right one. Start improving your everyday grooming regime right away!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Toners For Men In 2022
1. Thayers Facial Toner – Best Overall
There are many reasons why this Thayers facial toner is the absolute favorite for this round. This product stands out with its effectiveness but also its relatively low price.
Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel toner contains no alcohol, parabens, phthalates or gluten. Non-distilled witch hazel has antioxidant properties and will soothe your skin and reduce any inflammations. Its power to remove excess oil and fight acne is impressive. But that also means that it can be drying if overused.
Also, certified organic Aloe Vera will pump the moisture back into the skin; rose water will ramp up the skin’s dewiness while vitamin C will boost collagen production. Altogether, your skin will be free of excess oil, acne, and look youthful and glowy.
Furthermore, this toner has an alkaline PH level that won’t over strip your skin and will bring the skin back to its optimal PH level. It is relatively gentle and non-drying and will make your pores look noticeably smaller.
The only disadvantage here for us is that it contains fragrance that may irritate some skin types such as sensitive or dry skin. If you want to try it but also don’t want to risk possible allergies and irritations, you can try their unscented version.
- Certified organic ingredients
- Paraben and gluten-free
- Controls acne and oil production
- Balances skin’s PH level
- Contains witch hazel, aloe vera, and vitamin C
- Reduces redness and inflammation
- Contains fragrance
- May irritate and dry out sensitive skin
2. Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner – Premium Pick
We didn’t regret that few extra dollars, because Dear Klairs Supple Preparation facial toner proved worth it. This is all-in-one toner, as it soothes, firms and hydrates the skin.
The primary ingredients in this formula are hyaluronic acid, beta-glucan, and Centella Asiatica. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture to the skin and creates a plumping effect. Beta-glucan soothes and calms irritated skin and plumps fine lines and wrinkles. Lastly, Centella Asiatica is a powerful plant that strengthens the skin and manages different skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and stretch marks.
Amongst the ingredients that we didn’t like are essential oils like eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, and lavender oil. While essential oils are proven to have some beneficial skin properties, they can sometimes do more damage than good.
We also didn’t like that it has a thick and dense consistency that at first feels a little sticky. Luckily, it absorbs amazingly fast and won’t clog your pores, so that’s a good thing.
Even though it contains essential oils that are potential irritants, we find this toner very gentle to the skin. It maintains the skin’s optimal PH and prevents new acne breakouts. In general, we can say that it’s safe for all skin types, as it has many botanical ingredients.
But, if you have sensitive skin, pay extra attention, and wash it off immediately if you notice any changes to your skin. There is also an unscented version of this toner, which may suit you much better if you fit in this category.
- Very hydrating
- Fast absorbing
- Soothing and calming formula
- For all skin types
- Maintaining optimal PH
- Contains essential oil that may irritate the skin
- Thick, viscous consistency
3. Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner – Budget-Friendly Option
This Neutrogena facial toner is very effective and yet very affordable! We like the fact that this toner doesn’t contain too many ingredients and has only the necessary ones.
Something that you will rarely find in facial toners is an alcohol-free formula. Luckily, this formula doesn’t contain any alcohol; hence it won’t strip your skin’s natural moisture. Moreover, it will slightly hydrate it as it includes panthenol amongst the active ingredients, that has soothing and repairing properties.
If we look at the fact that it doesn’t contain any additional oils, we may say it’s also good for oily skin as it won’t leave it greasy.
However, we didn’t like that it contains parabens and fragrance, which can cause potential skin irritations and allergic reactions. So, if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to avoid this product as it can be harsh on your skin.
Nonetheless, this toner is very lightweight and won’t clog your pores. It absorbs fast and will leave your skin very fresh and smooth.
It does contain some fragrance but in tiny amounts. The scent is potent at first, but don’t worry, because it will wear off after a few minutes. In general, we would recommend this toner to all men that have normal to oily skin.
- Refreshes and soothes skin
- Contains panthenol
- Isn’t over striping
- Good for acne-prone skin
- Alcohol-free and oil-free
- Won’t cause irritations
- Contains fragrance
- Contains parabens
4. InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Toner – Amongst The Top Rated
The one that got the best feedback from many people is this InstaNatural vitamin C facial toner. This toner contains many natural ingredients, and it’s free of phthalates and parabens, which is a big plus from the start. Vitamin C and witch hazel are the main ingredients in this toner, and there’s a good reason why.
As an antioxidant, Vitamin C promotes collagen production, diminishes fine lines, and protects the skin from damaging free radicals. In contrast, witch hazel will effectively remove the excess oil from the skin and prevent acne. But those are not the only natural ingredients this toner includes.
Tea tree oil has inflammatory properties, while rose water will help maintain the skin’s PH balance. Also, lavender oil fights acne and reduces inflammations while geranium oil eliminates dead skin cells, tightens the skin, and promotes regeneration. Overall, many other botanical ingredients are listed that are very good for the skin’s health and balancing the skin’s PH.
However, it contains many essential oils and fragrances that may irritate, dry out, or damage the skin. Also, glycolic acid is known to increase skin sensitivity to the sun due to its exfoliating abilities.
Overall, this product won’t moisturize your skin, but instead, it will clean it thoroughly, even out your skin tone and provide healthy and glowy looking skin. If you want to prevent breakouts, get rid of excess oil, and have younger-looking skin, this is the pick for you!
- Parabens-free and phthalates-free
- Anti-aging properties
- PH balancing
- Contains a lot of natural ingredients
- Contains glycolic acid
- Comes in a spray bottle
- Improves discoloration
- Gently exfoliates
- Contains essential oils/fragrance which may irritate the skin
- May dry out the skin
- Doesn’t moisturize at all
- Can increase skin’s sensitivity to the sun due to glycolic acid
5. Bioré Witch Hazel Pore Clarifying Toner – Good Value For The Price
This Biore Witch hazel pore clarifying toner will make your pores seemingly shrank, and it will clear and unclog them. The formula is oil-free and contains 2% of salicylic acid and witch hazel.
Salicylic acid dissolves the skin debris that causes acne, and it works wonders with blackheads and whiteheads. On the other hand, witch hazel is rich with tannins, a natural plant compound with antioxidant properties. Witch hazel is proven to be one of the best ingredients when fighting acne, inflammatory skin conditions, burns, scars, etc.
This toner also contains menthol, which provides a pleasant scent and a cooling sensation. However, menthol can be very harsh to the skin or cause irritations.
It also includes three types of alcohol that can effectively clean pores of excess oil. But, they can also over strip your skin and cause irritations and inflammations, which we don’t quite like about this product. Also, all of that may lead to dry skin and breakouts, so be aware of that.
Nevertheless, this toner is lightweight and will leave your skin clean and very fresh. It won’t exactly moisturize your skin, but it won’t clog your pores either. Instead, it will clean it thoroughly and prevent acne breakout. Also, this is the best one that we’ve found so far for the oily skin type.
- Soothes acne breakouts
- Contains salicylic acid and witch hazel
- Doesn’t clog pores
- Best for oily skin
- Refreshing cool formula
- Clears up blemishes and blackheads
- Contains alcohol which can dry and irritate the skin
- Contains fragrance and menthol which can cause irritations
- May cause breakouts
Things To Consider Before Buying A Facial Toner For Men
We know, it’s not easy choosing the right product when oftentimes, face toners all tend to look the same. However, the ingredients list will provide you with all the vital information, and determining your skin type will do half of the job done.
But First, What Is A Face Toner?
- Put simply, toner is a skincare product in a liquid form, that penetrates the skin and cleans it. As an astringent, it works to constrict body tissues. It’s packed with acids, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, glycerin, etc. Basically, it clears the skin by removing the dead cells, excess oil, dirt, and makeup and hydrates the skin. It provides clear, plump, and glowy skin.
- Toner is used after cleansing and exfoliating, in both day and night skin-care routines. Cleansing helps clear away dead skin cells, grime, and makeup so that the toner’s skin-beneficial ingredients can penetrate the skin. Also, toner helps the skin absorb other skincare products, thus acts as a base for serums and moisturizers.
The Benefits Of Toner
- Balances skin’s PH levels
- Deeply cleanses
- Helps reduce inflammation and redness
- Helps protect the skin
- Fights acne
- Helps skin absorb other skincare products
- Nourishes and hydrates the skin
- Reduces the appearance of large pores by unclogging them
How To Apply Toner
The right toner is one of the most beneficial products a guy can use on his face. As some people don’t know how to use it properly, we’ve provided some guidelines for you to achieve the optimum skin results.
1. Wash Your Face And Neck Thoroughly
- As we’ve already mentioned above, toner is most effective when applied on a cleansed face. The idea here is to clear and unclog your pores so that the toner can penetrate the skin easily and do its thing.
2. Apply Toner To An Applicator
- Most toners require some sort of applicator when applying to the face unless they come in a spray form. You can use cotton balls or cotton pads, and they should feel damp but not soaked entirely.
3. Apply Toner To Face And Neck Area
- Apply the toner 1-2 minutes after cleansing on a dampened skin, as the active ingredients absorb better when the skin is wet. Gently apply it across your face, and don’t forget to clean the nose, eyebrows, hairline, and behind the ears. Also, don’t worry if the toner gets in touch with your beard, it won’t hurt.
- The most important thing to avoid when it comes to toners or any skincare product is alcohol and fragrance.
- While alcohol clears sebum from pores effectively, it can over strip your skin and leave it inflamed. Not to mention how it can contribute to skin aging, which you definitely don’t want.
- Next off, synthetic fragrances are amongst the main culprits for skin’s allergic reactions. In addition, opt to avoid toners containing parabens, phthalates, and petroleum as they can also cause health associated risks.
- Lastly, we know that many people think essential oils are good for their skin, but they can actually cause more problems, and that stands for all skin types. As gentle as they appear, they’re too irritating to the skin. They can cause not only irritations and allergies but also severe skin damage.
Avoid These Essential Oils
- Mint oil – peppermint, wintergreen, pennyroyal
- Citrus oils – lemon, lime, tangerine, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot
- Lavender oil
- Neroli oil
- Rosemary oil
- Camphor oil
- Thyme oil
- Cinnamon oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Ginger oil
- Jasmine oil
- Oregano oil
- Sage oil
What Ingredients Should You Look For?
Here is the list of ingredients you should look for:
- Hyaluronic acid
- Antioxidants (vitamin A, B, C, and E)
- Witch Hazel
- Salicylic acid
- Glycolic acid
- Natural soothers like chamomile
- Aloe Vera
- Lactic acid
- Cucumber extract
- Clary Sage
- Tea Tree
- You should be careful when buying a face toner as not all will suit your skin type, and sometimes the wrong ones can cause even more skin problems.
- To help you out, we’ve created a chart that explains which type of ingredients are the best for each type of skin:
|Type of skin||Look For:||Avoid:|
|Normal (a perfect balance of moisture and oil)||Witch Hazel, Hyaluronic acid, Green Tea, Vitamin C||Alcohol, Fragrance, Essential oils|
|Oily (produces more sebum, more greasy and shiny)||Niacinamide, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl oxide, Retinol, Activated Charcoal, and Clay||Alcohol, Fragrance, Essential oils, Silicones, Oils like coconut oil|
Dry (itchy, no moisture, prominent pores)
|Aloe Vera, Calendula, Chamomile, Rose, Tea Tree, Hyaluronic acid, Glycerin||Alcohol, Fragrance, Essential oils, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl Peroxide|
|Combination (some parts of the face are oily some are dry)||Hyaluronic acid, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide, Lactic acid, Niacinamide||Alcohol, Fragrance, Essential oils, Mineral oil, Silicones|
Sensitive (prone to allergies and irritations)
Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Tea Tree, Hyaluronic acid
|Alcohol, Fragrance, Essential oils, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Green Tea|
- A good skincare product doesn’t necessarily cost a fortune. Before you grab some product from the shelf because it has some famous brand’s name or a high price tag, look for ingredients, and let that be your leading guide.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
We hope we have given you some useful guidelines on finding the perfect toner for you. A few things are certain – always avoid alcohol, fragrances, and essential oils and instead opt for botanical soothers and hydroxy acids.
Also, if the product contains good ingredients but costs more, don’t hesitate to buy it as every extra penny given is an investment in your skin.
As always, we have our favorites, and those are:
Best Overall: Thayers Facial Toner
- The one that deserves our first place is definitely Thayers Facial Toner! This toner is gentle and won’t dry out your skin. It is composed of witch hazel, rose water, aloe vera, and vitamin C, which will hydrate your skin and reduce acne at the same time. This toner is certified organic and is free of alcohol, parabens, and other potential skin hazards.
Premium Pick: Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
- Set aside some extra penny, as this Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner is genuinely amazing! Containing hyaluronic acid, it will deeply moisturize your skin all while cleaning all the excess grime. It will also soothe and calm the skin and strengthen the skin’s barrier.
Budget-Friendly Option: Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Facial Toner
- An extraordinarily affordable yet very effective toner is this all-time classic Neutrogena Facial Toner. It doesn’t contain alcohol and oils, so it won’t feel greasy or dry out your skin. This toner will thoroughly clean your pores, leaving your skin fresh, soft, and glowy.