Dry shampoo is a great way to freshen up your hair in between washings, but what if you want to straighten your hair after using it? Can you do that without ruining your style?
Today, as a professional hair stylist, I’m going to show you how to safely use dry shampoo to help straighten your hair. In addition, I’ll provide some tips on keeping your hair looking its best overall.
So, if you’re ready to learn how to straighten your hair after using dry shampoo, let’s get started!
How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
Dry shampoo is a powder or spray that you apply to your hair to absorb oil and dirt. It’s a great way to extend the time between washings or to freshen up your hair if it’s looking greasy.
If you want to make your blowout or style last longer, dry shampoo is the way to go. Additionally, if used correctly, dry shampoo can give you more volume and texture. If you’re looking for a sleek finish, it can help with that too!
Most dry shampoos contain alcohol, which can be drying to your hair. That’s why it’s important to use a good conditioner after using dry shampoo, to help replenish moisture.
Can You Straighten Your Hair After Using Dry Shampoo?
Yes, you can straighten your hair after using dry shampoo. Dry shampoo can actually help to straighten your hair, as it absorbs oil and dirt which can weigh your hair down and make it appear limp.
Just be sure to use a good conditioner afterward to help replenish moisture.
Does It Ruin Your Hair?
No, straightening your hair after using dry shampoo will not ruin your hair. However, it’s important to use a heat protectant before using any hot styling tools. This will help prevent damage to your hair.
How to Use Dry Shampoo in Your Hair Care Routine
Here are some tips on how to use dry shampoo in your hair care routine:
- Start with clean, dry hair: Before using dry shampoo, make sure your hair is clean and completely dry. Otherwise, the dry shampoo will just absorb the natural oils in your hair and can actually make your hair dirtier.
- Apply dry shampoo at the roots: To get the most out of your dry shampoo, apply it directly to the roots of your hair. This will help absorb any excess oil and help give your hair more volume.
- Let the dry shampoo sit for a few minutes: After you’ve applied the dry shampoo, let it sit in your hair for a few minutes to absorb any excess oil.
- Style as usual: Once the dry shampoo has had a chance to work its magic, style your hair as usual. You may find that you need to use less product than usual, as the dry shampoo will have already absorbed some of the oil.
What to Avoid When Using Dry Shampoo
When it comes to dry shampoo, there are a few things you should avoid to prevent harm to your hair. Here are some suggestions:
- Don’t use too much dry shampoo: If you use too much dry shampoo, it can actually make your hair dirtier. It can also weigh your hair down and make it appear limp.
- Don’t use dry shampoo on wet hair: If your hair is wet, the dry shampoo will just absorb the water and can actually make your hair dirtier. Make sure your hair is completely dry before using dry shampoo.
- Don’t use dry shampoo every day: If you use dry shampoo every day, it can actually strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it feeling dry and damaged. Use it sparingly, only when you really need it.
- Avoid using hot styling tools after using dry shampoo: The heat from the styling tools can actually react with the dry shampoo and cause it to break down, which can damage your hair. Let your hair air dry after using dry shampoo, or style it with cool tools.
How to Straighten Your Hair After Using Dry Shampoo
Follow these tips if you want to straighten your hair after using dry shampoo and achieve the best possible results:
- Start with freshly shampooed hair: Before you straighten your hair, make sure it’s clean and completely dry. Otherwise, the heat from the straightener can actually make your hair dirtier.
- Apply a heat protectant: To help protect your hair from the heat, apply a heat protectant before you start straightening. This will help keep your hair healthy and looking its best.
- Start with small sections: When you’re straightening your hair, start with small sections so you don’t overload your hair with heat. This will help prevent damage and ensure that your hair looks its best.
- Use a lower heat setting: If you can, use a lower heat setting on your straightener. This will help prevent damage and ensure that your hair looks its best.
- Don’t forget to deep condition: After you straighten your hair, make sure to deep condition it to help keep it healthy and looking its best.
How to Care for Your Hair After Straightening It
Once you have achieved the perfect straight hair look, follow these tips to keep it looking great:
After straightening your hair, use a deep conditioner or mask once a week. This will help to keep your hair hydrated and prevent it from becoming dry and damaged.
Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to get rid of any split ends. Use a heat protectant spray before using any heated styling tools.
Avoid washing your hair every day, as this can strip away natural oils and lead to dryness. Instead, wash your hair 2-3 times a week using a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo.
If you straighten your hair often, consider using a leave-in conditioner or serum to help keep it healthy and hydrated.
The Bottom Line
If you’re wondering whether you can straighten your hair after using dry shampoo, the answer is yes! Just make sure to follow the tips above to achieve the best possible results and keep your hair healthy and looking its best.
However, as a hair stylist, I would generally not recommend straightening your hair after using dry shampoo. The heat from the flatiron can actually make your hair dirtier. If you must straighten your locks after usage of dry shampoo, start with small sections and use a lower heat setting.
Also, be sure to use a heat protectant spray before you begin to straighten your hair. Try to avoid using hot styling tools daily, as this can remove your hair’s natural oils and result in dryness. Instead, wash your hair 2-3 times a week with a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo.
If you follow these tips, you can straighten your hair after using dry shampoo and still have healthy, beautiful locks!