Nail extensions, or acrylic nails, are a popular way to have long and beautiful nails.
But how long do they last? And what is the best way to keep them looking their best? In this article, we will answer these questions and more.
So, if you’re wondering how long acrylic nails last, keep reading!
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails are artificial nail extensions that are made from a liquid acrylic and powder mixture. They are applied to the natural nails, and then filed and shaped to the desired length and style.
Acrylic nails have been around for many years, and they continue to be a popular choice for those who want long and beautiful nails.
How Long Do Acrylic Nails Last?
Most people find that acrylic nails last about two to six weeks before they start to chip and peel. However, the length of time they last will depend on a number of factors, such as how well they are taken care of, how often they are touched up, and the natural nail condition.
Why It is Important to Take Care of Your Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails require regular cleaning and maintenance to stay looking their best. Failing to do this can result in the nails becoming yellow, discolored, or even mouldy. It is also important to avoid using harsh chemicals or detergents when cleaning them, as this can damage the acrylic.
How to Extend the Life of Your Acrylic Nails?
To help make your acrylic nails last longer, it is important to:
- Keep them clean and dry: Always wash your hands thoroughly before touching your acrylic nails, and avoid exposing them to water for long periods of time.
- Be gentle: Don’t pick or pull at your acrylic nails, as this can cause them to become loose and fall off.
- Touch them up: Get your acrylic nails refilled or touched up every two to three weeks to prevent them from growing out and becoming damaged.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or detergents: When cleaning your acrylic nails, avoid using harsh chemicals or detergents, as this can damage the acrylic.
- Wear gloves when doing household chores: To protect your acrylic nails from damage, wear gloves when doing household chores such as washing dishes or cleaning the house.
- Be careful not to damage the nails when filing or shaping them: When filing or shaping your acrylic nails, be careful not to damage the nails. Use a file designed for artificial nails and avoid filing them too aggressively.
- Regularly apply a nourishing nail oil or cream to keep the nails healthy: Regularly apply a nourishing nail oil or cream to the nails to keep them healthy and hydrated.
- Get regular touch-ups to fill in any gaps or chips: Get your acrylic nails refilled or touched up every two to three weeks to prevent them from growing out and becoming damaged.
With proper care and maintenance, your acrylic nails can last for several weeks. However, it is important to keep in mind that they are artificial products and will eventually need to be replaced.
Why You Should Replace Your Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails should be replaced every two to three weeks to prevent them from growing out and becoming damaged. However, if you take good care of your nails, they can last up to six weeks.
How often you need to replace your acrylic nails depends on a few factors, such as how quickly your nails grow and how well you take care of them. If you have a busy lifestyle or use your hands a lot, you may need to replace your acrylic nails more often.
Here are a few signs that it’s time to replace your acrylic nails:
- Your nails are lifting at the edges: If your acrylic nails are lifting at the edges, it’s time to replace them. This is because the lifting allows bacteria and dirt to get under the nails, which can lead to infection.
- Your nails are yellowing: If your nails are yellowing, it’s probably due to a buildup of products or oils. To avoid this, be sure to clean your nails regularly with soap and water. You can also use a nail brush to scrub the nails and remove any dirt or debris.
- Your nails are breaking: If your nails are breaking, it’s likely because they’re too long or thin. When acrylic nails become too long, they’re more likely to break. If your nails are breaking, it’s time to replace them with a new set.
- Your nails are painful: If your nails are painful or sensitive, it’s probably because the acrylics are too thick. When this happens, the acrylic can press on the nerves in your fingers and cause pain. If your nails are painful, it’s time to replace them.
Do You Need to Wait Between Removing and Replacing Acrylic Nails?
No, you don’t need to wait between removing and replacing acrylic nails. However, it’s important to take a break from wearing them if your nails are damaged or sore.
If you remove your acrylic nails and they appear yellow or discolored, it’s probably due to the nail polish or other products you use. To avoid this, be sure to clean your nails regularly with soap and water. You can also use a nail brush to scrub the nails and remove any dirt or debris.
How to Replace Your Acrylic Nails?
If it’s time to replace your acrylic nails, there are a few things you need to do to remove the old ones and apply the new ones.
The Removing Process
- To remove your old acrylic nails, start by soaking them in acetone for 10 minutes. This will help to break down the acrylic and make it easier to remove.
- Next, use a nail file to file down the top layer of the acrylic. Be sure to file in one direction only to avoid damaging your nails.
- Once the top layer is removed, use an orange stick or a cotton ball soaked in acetone to remove the remaining acrylic.
- Finally, wash your hands and nails with soap and water to remove any residue.
Apply the New Acrylic Nails
- To apply the new acrylic nails, start by applying a thin layer of primer to your nails. This will help the acrylic adhere to your nails better.
- Next, apply a small amount of acrylic to your nail using an applicator brush. Be sure to work quickly as the acrylic sets fast.
- Repeat this process for each nail, and then use a nail file to shape the nails as desired.
- Finally, apply a top coat of polish to protect the acrylic and give your nails a shiny finish.
The lifespan of your acrylic nails depends on how intricately you take care of them and can last anywhere from two to six weeks. However, if you’re constantly using your hands or have a hectic lifestyle, it might be necessary to replace them more regularly.
Cleaning and caring for your nails is important to extend the life of them. Also, avoid using your nails as tools and be careful not to damage them. Acrylic nails may last several weeks if properly cared for.