Gel nails have become a popular way to have long-lasting manicures. But how long do they really last? And are they worth the money?
Today, we’ll answer those questions and help you decide if gel nails are the right choice for you. We’ll also provide some tips on how to make your gel nails last longer.
Let’s take a closer look.
What Are Gel Nails?
Gel nails are a type of artificial nail that is made from a gel material. Gel nails are applied in a similar way to regular nail polish, but they require curing under a UV or LED light. This helps the gel to harden and set.
Gel nails are popular because they can last much longer than regular nail polish. They are also more resistant to chipping and scratching. However, gel nails do require more upkeep than regular nails.
They also require special removal techniques that can be damaging to your natural nails.
Are Gel Nails Worth the Money?
Gel nails definitely have their advantages. But they also come with a few disadvantages. Here’s a quick overview of the pros and cons of gel nails:
- Gel nails can last up to three weeks.
- They are more resistant to chipping and scratching.
- Gel nails require less frequent touch-ups than regular nail polish.
- They have a glossy finish.
- Gel nails are less likely to cause allergic reactions than acrylic nails.
- You can remove gel nails at home with acetone nail polish remover.
- Gel nails require a UV or LED light for curing, which can be expensive to purchase.
- Gel nails can be difficult to remove if you don’t have the right tools.
- They can also damage your natural nails if not applied correctly.
As you can see, there are both pros and cons to gel nails. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to get gel nails is up to you.
How Long Do Gel Nails Last?
On average, gel nails will last between two and three weeks. This can vary depending on the type of gel nail, the quality of the product, and how well you take care of your nails.
There are a number of factors that can affect the longevity of your gel nails, including:
- The quality of the gel nail product
- How well the gel nails are applied
- How often do you use your hands
- Whether or not you use gloves when doing household chores
With proper care, your gel nails can last for the full two to three weeks. However, if you start to see any lifting or chipping, it is best to remove the gel nails as soon as possible. Leaving them on for too long can damage your natural nails.
When Do You Need a Touch-up?
Gel nails typically need to be touched up every two to three weeks. However, this can vary depending on how quickly your nails grow. If you have particularly fast-growing nails, you may need to touch up your gel nails more frequently.
Why is It Important to Touch Up Your Gel Nails?
Touching up your gel nails helps to prevent lifting and chipping. It also helps to keep your nails looking their best.
How to Make Your Gel Nails Last Longer
A big factor in how long your gel nails last is how well you take care of them. Here are some tips on how to make them last as long as possible:
- Avoid water and harsh chemicals: One of the most important things you can do to prolong the life of your gel nails is to avoid water and harsh chemicals as much as possible. Water can cause the gel to lift and peel, while harsh chemicals can break down the gel.
- Be gentle with your nails: Avoid activities that put a lot of stress on your nails, such as typing or opening cans. Also, try to avoid using your nails as tools (for example, do not use them to pry things open).
- Keep them clean and dry: Make sure to keep your gel nails clean and dry. Dirt and debris can cause the gel to lift, while moisture can cause the gel to soften and weaken.
- Get them professionally done: If you want your gel nails to last as long as possible, it is best to get them professionally done. A professional will know how to apply the gel properly and will also be able to advise you on how to take care of them.
- Follow the instructions: Be sure to follow the instructions that come with your gel nails kit. If you do not, you may end up damaging your nails or not getting the desired results.
- Use gloves when doing household chores: Another way to make your gel nails last longer is to use gloves when doing household chores. This will protect your nails from water and harsh chemicals.
- Avoid using acetone-based nail polish removers: Acetone-based nail polish removers can damage the gel, so it is best to avoid them. If you must use them, be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
- Do not pick at your gel nails: Picking at your gel nails can damage them and cause the gel to lift. If you need to remove something from under your gel nails, use a cuticle pusher or an orange stick.
- Be careful with Manicures: Be careful when getting a manicure. Make sure the manicurist does not use any tools that could damage your gel nails.
- Take care of your cuticles: Your cuticles play an important role in protecting your nails. Be sure to moisturize them and push them back regularly.
With these tips, you can help your gel nails last longer. Just remember to be gentle with them, keep them clean and dry, and get them professionally done if possible.
How Long to Wait Between Gel Manicures
As gel manicures become more and more popular, people are wondering how often they should get them. The answer to this question depends on a few factors, such as the type of gel used, the condition of your nails, and how well you take care of your nails in between manicures.
If you’re using a gel that requires UV curing, it’s important to give your nails a break from the UV light every once in a while. Over-exposure to UV light can cause your nails to become brittle and dry. For this reason, some people prefer to use LED curing gels, which don’t require as much exposure to UV light.
The condition of your nails will also affect how often you should get a gel manicure. If your nails are healthy and strong, you can probably get away with getting one every two to three weeks. But if your nails are weak or brittle, you might want to space out your gel manicures a bit more.
Finally, how well you take care of your nails in between gel manicures will also affect how often you need to get them. Be sure to keep your nails clean and moisturized, and don’t use any harsh chemicals or cleaners on them. Doing these things will help your nails stay healthy and strong, and will help your gel manicures last longer.
As a general rule of thumb, you should probably get a gel manicure every two to three weeks. But if you have weak or brittle nails, you might want to space them out a bit more. And be sure to take good care of your nails in between manicures to help them last longer.
How to Replace Your Gel Nails
If your gel nails start to lift or chip, it is best to remove them as soon as possible. Leaving them on for too long can damage your natural nails.
Removing Gel Nails
There are two main ways to remove gel nails:
- Soaking: The most common way to remove gel nails is by soaking them in acetone. You will need to purchase acetone from a beauty supply store. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, as acetone can be harmful if used incorrectly.
- Scraping: If your gel nails are particularly stubborn, you may need to scrape them off. You can purchase a gel nail scraper from a beauty supply store. Be sure to use caution when scraping, as you do not want to damage your natural nails.
Once you have removed the gel nails, you will need to take care of your natural nails. Be sure to wash them and apply a moisturizer. You may also want to consider applying a nail strengthener to help prevent future damage.
Applying Gel Nails
If you want to reapply gel nails, it is best to have them done professionally. A professional will know how to apply the gel correctly and will also be able to advise you on how to take care of them.
If you choose to do it yourself, be sure to follow the instructions carefully. You will need to purchase a gel nail kit from a beauty supply store. These kits usually come with everything you need to apply the gel, including a UV light.
Once you have applied the gel, be sure to take care of your nails. Be gentle with them, keep them clean and dry, and use gloves when doing household chores. With proper care, your gel nails can last for several weeks.
Gel nails are a popular choice for those who want long-lasting manicures. They can last up to three weeks with proper care.
However, gel nails do require more upkeep than regular nail polish and should be removed if they start to lift or chip. Gel nails are more expensive than regular nail polish but may be worth the investment for those who want long-lasting manicures.
As a professional, I generally recommend getting a gel manicure every 2-3 weeks. If you have brittle or fragile nails, though, you may want to wait longer between appointments. To assist your nails to stay healthier longer, be sure to care for them properly between manicures.
Related: Why Do My Gel Nails Turn Yellow?