Have you ever wondered how long a perm lasts? If you have, you’re not alone. Many people who are considering getting a perm want to know how long the results will last.
The truth is, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The length of time that a perm will last depends on a number of factors, including the type of perm you get, the health of your hair, and how well you take care of your perm.
So, if you’re wondering how long a perm lasts, keep reading. We’ll give you the lowdown on all things perm, including what to expect in terms of longevity.
What is a Perm?
A perm is a chemical treatment that is used to change the structure of the hair. The actual process of getting a perm involves wrapping the hair around rods and then applying chemicals to the hair. This causes the hair to become permanently curled or wavy.
Perms can be used to create a variety of different looks, from loose, beachy waves to tight, spiraled curls. The level of curl or wave you want will determine the type of perm you get.
How Long Does a Perm Last?
A perm typically lasts anywhere from three to six months. However, this will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of perm you get and how well you take care of your hair after the perm.
How Long Does a Straight Perm Last?
A straight perm, also called a body wave perm, is a type of perm that is used to create loose, beachy waves. This type of perm is less damaging than other types of perms and typically lasts three to six months.
How Long Does a Spiral Perm Last?
A spiral perm creates tight, spiraled curls. This type of perm is more damaging than a straight perm and typically only lasts two to three months.
How Long Does a Digital Perm Last?
A digital perm, also called a hot perm, uses heat instead of chemicals to change the structure of the hair. This type of perm is less damaging than other types of perms and typically lasts six to eight weeks.
How Long Does a Perm Last if You Have Damaged Hair?
If you have damaged hair, your perm may not last as long as it would if you had healthy hair. This is because damage weakens the hair shaft, making it more susceptible to breaking. As a result, your perm may only last two to three months.
How Long Does a Perm Last if You Have Healthy Hair?
If you have healthy hair, your perm may last four to six months. However, this will vary depending on the type of perm you get and how well you take care of your hair after the perm.
Factors That Affect How Long a Perm Lasts
There are a few factors that can impact how long your perm will last. These include:
- The type of perm you get: There are different types of perms, from tight, spiral perms to looser, wave perms. The type of perm you get will have an impact on how long it lasts.
- How you take care of your hair after the perm: It’s important to use the right products and avoid heat styling after you get a perm in order to prolong its life.
- Your hair type: Some hair types are more resistant to perms than others. For example, coarse or thick hair may not hold a perm as long as fine or thin hair.
- How often you wash your hair: Washing your hair too often can cause a perm to fade faster. Try to shampoo no more than two or three times a week.
- The health of your hair: Damaged hair is more likely to break, which can cause a perm to fade faster. If you have healthy hair, your perm will last longer.
How Often Should You Get a Perm Touch-up?
If you want to keep your perm looking its best, you should get a touch-up every three to four months. However, this will vary depending on how quickly your hair grows and how well you take care of your hair.
How to Make Your Perm Last Longer? Tips for Prolonging Your Perm
There are a few things you can do to help prolong the life of your perm. These include:
- Avoiding hot water: Hot water can cause a perm to fade faster. When shampooing, use lukewarm water instead of hot water. And when conditioning, apply the conditioner to your ends and then cover your hair with a shower cap while you finish showering so that the conditioner has time to work its magic.
- Using the right products: Be sure to use products that are specifically designed for permed hair. These products will help to protect your hair and keep your perm looking its best.
- Avoiding heat styling: Heat styling can cause a perm to fade and become damaged. If you must use heat, be sure to use a heat protectant spray first.
- Getting a perm touch-up: If your perm starts to fade, you can always get a touch-up to help it last longer.
- Investing in a good perm: if you want your perm to last, it’s important to invest in a good perm. This means finding a reputable stylist who specializes in perms. They will be able to recommend the best type of perm for your hair type and help you take care of your hair after the perm to prolong its life.
A perm can last anywhere from three to six months, depending on the type of perm you get and how well you take care of your hair. To make your perm last longer, be sure to use the right products, avoid heat styling, and get a touch-up every three to four months. With proper care, your perm will last for several months and keep your hair looking its best.
See Also: How Much Does a Perm Cost?