Permed hair needs special care. If you don’t take care of it properly, your perm will lose its shape and you’ll end up with frizzy hair. Here are a few tips on how to take care of your perm:
- Use a good shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for permed hair. Regular shampoo and conditioner can be too harsh and will strip the chemicals out of your perm.
- Don’t over-wash your hair. Permed hair requires less washing than normal hair, so try to stick to it once or twice a week at most.
- Don’t use hot water when you wash your hair – use lukewarm or cold water instead. Hot water will strip away the natural oils in your hair, which will make it dry and brittle.
- Use a good quality serum or oil to help tame frizzy hair and keep it looking sleek and shiny.
- Avoid using heat styling tools like blow dryers and curling irons on wet permed hair – this will cause the curls to drop out and the perm to lose its shape.
- Let your hair air dry as often as possible – this is the best way to preserve the curl pattern in permed hair.
- Be gentle when brushing or combing your hair – use a wide-toothed comb and take care not to pull or tug at the hair too much, as this can cause the perm to come out.
- Get regular trims to keep your hair looking healthy and prevent split ends from damaging the integrity of the perm.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure – the UV rays can damage permed hair and cause it to become dry and brittle.
- Talk to your stylist about deep conditioning treatments – these can help to keep your perm looking its best by replenishing lost moisture.
Why is It Important to Take Special Care of Permed Hair?
To know why it is important to take care of permed hair, we must first understand what a perm is. A perm is a hairstyle created using chemicals that break and reform the bonds in your hair. This process can be damaging to your hair, making it more susceptible to dryness, frizz, and breakage. That’s why it’s so important to use the right products and follow a proper hair care routine when you have a perm.
If you don’t take care of your permed hair, the chemicals will break down the hair shafts, causing them to become dry and brittle. This leads to frizzy, unmanageable hair that is difficult to style. In extreme cases, the hair may even become so damaged that it breaks off or falls out.
So, if you want to keep your perm looking its best, make sure to follow these tips on how to take care of permed hair. With a little extra effort, you can keep your perm healthy and manageable for weeks or even months at a time.
How Often Should You Wash Permed Hair?
Most experts recommend that you wash your permed hair once or twice a week at most. Washing your hair too often can strip away the natural oils that help to keep it healthy, leading to dryness and frizz.
When you do wash your hair, be sure to use a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for permed hair. These products will be gentler on your hair and won’t strip away the chemicals in your perm.
For more information, check out this article.
Can You Use Heat Styling Tools on Permed Hair?
You should avoid using heat styling tools on wet, permed hair. The heat can cause the curls to drop out and the perm to lose its shape. If you absolutely must use heat styling tools, make sure your hair is completely dry first. It’s also a good idea to use a heat protectant spray to help minimize the damage.
How Long Does It Take to Dye Hair After Getting a Perm?
It’s generally best to wait at least 2 weeks before dyeing your hair after a perm. This gives the chemicals in your perm time to settle and decreases the risk of damaging your hair.
If you absolutely must dye your hair sooner, talk to your stylist first. They may be able to recommend a gentler dye that won’t damage your perm.
Related: Can You Dye Permed Hair?
Which Style of Hair to Avoid After Getting a Perm?
You should avoid any styles that require you to pull or tug at your hair. This can cause the perm to come out. Styles that are particularly damaging include tight ponytails, cornrows, and braids. If you must wear your hair in one of these styles, be sure to use a soft fabric scrunchie or hair tie to minimize the damage.
Which Product to Avoid After Getting a Perm?
You should avoid using any products that contain alcohol. Alcohol can dry out your hair and make it more susceptible to breakage. Products that are particularly drying include hairspray, gel, and mousse. If you must use these products, be sure to apply them sparingly and only to the ends of your hair.
The Bottom Line
To sum it up, it’s important to take special care of permed hair. Be sure to wash it regularly with a gentle shampoo, use heat styling tools sparingly, and get regular trims to keep your hair looking its best. With a little extra effort, you can enjoy beautiful, healthy permed hair for weeks or even months at a time.
Do you have any other tips on how to take care of permed hair? Share them with us in the comments section below! Your fellow perm-lovers will appreciate it.
Related: How Much Does a Perm Cost?