Top 5 Best Shampoos For Asian Hair 2023:
- Maple Holistics Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth and Volume
- Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo
- Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner Set
- The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo
- PURE NATURE Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
When it comes to shampoo, there is no “one-size fits all” product out there, unfortunately. On the other hand, Asian hair requires some additional care in order to look great. Pairing these two facts is an ideal recipe for disaster.
Coarse, thick hair that lacks in shine and moisture is the typical Asian hair. Not all Asians have the same hair type, and some fight with thin, brittle hair and hair loss.
A good shampoo will repair the overall hair condition, and make it healthier. A bad choice of shampoo will worsen the condition and even give you dandruff.
Finding the right shampoo is not easy and the search can be rather expensive. If you’re struggling to find the perfect shampoo for your hair problems, read our article to see our top choices for Asian hair!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Shampoos For Asian Hair In 2023
1. Maple Holistics Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth and Volume – Best Overall
Maple Holistics’ Biotin Shampoo is the best shampoo for Asian hair for many reasons. This shampoo is great for all hair types and even helps with certain conditions such as thinning hair and hair loss.
Since Asian hair is prone to thinning, this biotin shampoo focuses on preventing this condition.. It even fights hair loss – promoting circulation in the scalp, it will help stimulate hair follicles. So, it increases volume and creates better hair texture, creating a great look.
Maple Holistics’ bestseller doesn’t only promise hair growth. This Biotin shampoo is rich in B-Complex vitamins (Biotin, Keratin, and Provitamin B5), which are already found in the hair follicle. Thinner hair has less of those vitamins and adding them via shampooing will help hair grow.
This Biotin shampoo is also enriched with natural oils to produce shiny locks. Blend of tea tree oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, olive oil, and evening primrose oil will heal the damage the hair has endured, but they won’t weigh the hair down. With this shampoo, your hair will have great volume and shine, too!
This is a gentle shampoo, suitable for everyday use. Biotin will clean out all dirt and impurities that could affect your hair condition. Since it’s sulfate-free, it will not dry out your hair and it’s suitable for colored hair as well. It’s also paraben and silicone-free.
A shampoo without silicones is a great option for people struggling with a dry and flaky scalp. Something to keep in mind is that while the effects of this shampoo are great – the smell isn’t. The smell is strong and might be off-putting for some people.
- Rich in B-Complex vitamins which help hair grow
- Natural oils make hair shine
- Adds volume
- Silicon, sulfate, and paraben-free
- Good for flaky scalp
- The shampoo has a strong, pungent smell
2. Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo – Premium Pick
Moroccanoil Moisture Repair shampoo is our high-end, premium choice. The price is in this case combined with professional quality.
Moroccanoil has a luxurious smell because of argan oil which has a perfume-like scent. Good natural oils are included in the formula: argan oil, lavender, and rosemary oil. What’s also important is that this shampoo is infused with the hair protein, Keratin. Keratin repairs hair damage by rebuilding the broken bonds on weakened and split ends.
Keratin and argan oil are a perfect combination for weak or damaged hair. They will restore shine and help with dryness due to external factors. The hair is shiny and moisturized after using the Moisture Repair shampoo.
Since Moroccanoil shampoo restores hair moisture, your hair will be manageable and smooth without any frizz. Argan oil doesn’t weigh the hair down and your hair will be healthy, strong, and voluminous after washing with the Moroccanoil shampoo.
Moisture Repair Shampoo is a great option for Asian hair that has heat damage from a blow dryer or a straightener. It’s also perfect for heavily processed, colored hair (with bleach or hair dye) due to a sulfate-free ingredients list.
What we felt is important to note is the poor packaging. The bottle can be leaking upon arrival and some of the shampoo spilled, according to some customer reviews.
- Keratin and argan oil repair hair damage
- The scent is amazing and the hair smells great too
- Hair is moisturized, voluminous and without frizz
- Poor packaging
3. Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner Set – Best Value For Money
Maple Holistics’ Argan Oil shampoo is our affordable, low price shampoo for Asian hair. This shampoo is made for dry, brittle hair.
Maple Holistics’ shampoo is enriched with argan oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil. Avocado oil nourishes hair, argan oil restores moisture in hair follicles while jojoba oil moisturizes the scalp.
Argan Oil shampoo is sulfate, paraben, fragrance, and silicone-free. This is a natural, gentle, hypoallergenic formula optimal for daily use. There are no harsh chemicals or artificial colors, making this shampoo the perfect fit for anyone.
Sulfate-free formula is perfect for dry or colored hair because it doesn’t dry the hair out further. A silicone-free shampoo is great for those struggling with dandruff, along with those with a sensitive scalp. Argan oil shampoo nourishes a dry, flaky scalp and it cleans out the hair follicles, rejuvenating the roots.
There is a conditioner included in this Maple Holistics package. The conditioner is enriched with silk protein and phytokeratin. Those ingredients will repair the damage and smoothen the locks by removing frizz. Asian hair will look best when using both the shampoo and the conditioner.
The combination of the shampoo and conditioner will result in your hair being thicker and shinier. Something to keep in mind is that this shampoo can create tangles, according to customer reviews.
- A moisturizing conditioner is included in the package
- Natural oils help restore hair health
- Sulfate, paraben, fragrance and silicone-free formula
- Removes frizz
- Perfect for any type of hair
- Shampoo can tangle hair
4. The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo – Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The Body Shop’s Ginger Scalp Care shampoo is our best choice for Asian hair fighting with dandruff. The formula is perfect for dry and flaky hair.
Ginger Scalp Care shampoo will clean your hair and soothe your irritated scalp. Dandruff will be cleared out with consistent use, the scalp is visibly less flaky and itchy in just a few washes.
The Body Shop’s shampoo is infused with Sri Lankan ginger oil, birch bark, and white willow extracts to heal scalp issues. This combination of ingredients will leave your scalp moisturized and regenerated.
There is no residue in hair after shampooing, which can happen with other anti-dandruff shampoos. If you deal with severe dandruff and horrible itchiness, we advise you to pay a visit to your dermatologist.
Extra tip: when using Ginger Scalp Care shampoo, don’t rinse it out right after lathering. Let it sit in your hair for a few minutes for the best, flake-free results!
The formula is paraben and gluten-free. However, this shampoo contains sulfates, SLS to be exact, so it might not be a great fit for people dealing with dry hair ends or heat damage.
- Perfect for dry, flaky roots
- Removes dandruff in just a few uses
- Revitalizes the scalp
- Paraben and gluten-free formula
- Contains sulfates
5. PURE NATURE Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner – Best Shampoo For Colored Hair
Pure Nature’s Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo is the shampoo we felt works best for colored hair. Asian hair needs special care, and colored hair requires even more.
Colored hair endured damage from dye and bleach and it’s left drier and more prone to breakage. Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo will hydrate Asian hair and leave it stronger. Argan oil will give Asian hair more manageability without the frizz.
Oftentimes Asian hair is very coarse, but not after this shampoo and conditioner combination. After rinsing, the hair is silky smooth and soft.
The formula is sulfate, paraben, and gluten-free. This type of formula is ideal for Asian hair – an oily scalp struggling with damage and dehydration. However, this shampoo contains Dimethicone, a type of silicone that can irritate itchy and flaky scalps.
Pure Nature’s shampoo repairs damage and goes even further – it protects the hair from further damage. The conditioner included in the package contains UV and thermal protection. So, your hair is safe from sun damage and heat damage from using blow-dryers and curling irons.
Another great thing about this shampoo and conditioner set is the big packaging. With 16.9 fluid ounces of each product, you’re all set for a while!
- Great shampoo for colored hair
- Repairs and moisturizes Asian hair
- Removes frizz
- Great conditioner included
- Sulfate, paraben, and gluten-free
- Contains silicones, which irritate sensitive scalps
What To Keep In Mind When Buying A Shampoo For Asian Hair
First off, hair type is not universal for all Asians. However, what happens to be very common is that most Asians have thick, dark hair, but less dense than Caucasians. Asian hair is more prone to frizz than other hair types, which makes it tough to manage. However, Asian hair is thicker than others and less prone to damage and breakage due to external factors (hair processing or blow-drying).
The good news is that a great shampoo can manage even the matted and unruly hair. The first thing you should ask yourself if your hair seems to have bad days all the time is: Are you using the right shampoo?
1. Choose A Shampoo According To Your Hair Type
- If you experience bad hair days often due to frizz and lack of shine, look for shampoos for dry, brittle hair. Those shampoos have natural oils in their ingredients list. A shampoo with coconut or argan oil will create lustrous shine and make managing your hair a breeze. Argan oil will also help in repairing the damage done to your hair if you dye or blow-dry your hair often.
- Something many Asians struggle with is thin or oily hair, which results in a lack of volume and hair looking flat. A shampoo rich in natural oils won’t do any good to thin hair, as oils tend to weigh the hair down.
- Shampoos for oily hair have moisturizing agents lower on the ingredient list because they can worsen the hair condition and make hair even more oily. Choosing a shampoo with little to no naturals oils will give your hair a bounce and create great volume.
- If you’re fighting with a dry scalp and dandruff, your hair needs specific care. Dandruff is usually irritated by silicones in some shampoos. Choose a shampoo that cares for your scalp. A shampoo that moisturizes with, for example, panthenol will help you maintain healthy roots.
- If you’re dealing with extreme dandruff, and no regular shampoo seems to do the trick, you might be dealing with seborrheic dermatitis or a yeast infection of the scalp. Either way, a visit to the dermatologist might be best. Only special medicinal shampoos will cure these conditions.
2. Sulfates Or A Sulfate-free Shampoo
- When reading the ingredients list on the back of the shampoo, one of the first ingredients on the list is sulfates. What are those?
- Sulfates are basically cleansers. They’re usually found in shampoos and body washes because they help in building lather. So, they help your shampoo or body wash clean off dirt and grease. Why is that a bad thing?
- Sulfates can dry your hair in the process and create frizz. Since Asian hair already struggles with frizz, sulfates can worsen the situation.
- Furthermore, we recommend using sulfate-free shampoos for everyday washes. They will help your hair retain moisture and look better in the process.
Extra tip: use deep-clean shampoo (with sulfates) once a week or once every 10 days for a thorough clean.
3. How To Wash Asian Hair
- Firstly, always comb your hair before hopping in the shower. Shampooing can create even more tangles and lead to hair breakage.
- When washing your hair, massage the scalp in an up and down motion. Avoid circular motions – circling your fingers can create a tangled mess of your hair.
- Try to use lukewarm water, as hot water can dry out hair and make your Asian hair frizzy. This should go without saying but – always use a shampoo according to your hair type. Furthermore, select a conditioner made specifically for Asian hair or a conditioner that helps with your hair needs.
- When applying the conditioner – apply it to damp hair. Never apply it to your scalp, apply it to your length below your ears. Conditioner on your scalp can create dandruff or result in hair looking greasy and without volume.
- Drying Asian hair should be as simple as possible. Never rub a towel on your hair, as that can cause tangles and breakage – just pat it down and let it dry naturally (if possible). If blow-drying is necessary, apply a thermal protection serum to Asian hair to avoid heat damage.
- Avoid brushing Asian hair when it’s wet – or invest in special combs or brushes made for brushing wet hair. Brushing wet hair can result in damaged and split ends.
- Avoid styling products as much as possible – they can dry Asian hair out further. If your hairdo means you absolutely have to use styling products – make sure you don’t put any on your scalp or look for styling products made specifically for Asian hair for the best hair!
Best Shampoo For Asian Hair – Conclusion
After thorough research and reviews of the five best shampoos for Asian hair, it’s time to pronounce the best of the best. Believe us, this was no easy task because of so many great options on the market. So, without any delay, here are our top choices:
Best Overall: Maple Holistics Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth and Volume
- Maple Holistics’ Biotin shampoo is our top choice for a reason. It stimulates hair growth and solves the problem of hair thinning and shedding. Using Biotin shampoo will help achieve great volume in Asian hair!
Premium Pick: Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo
- Moroccanoil’s Moisture Repair is the high-end, professional range shampoo. It’s perfect for colored and damaged hair, as it restores moisture and creates a luxurious shine. The smell of this shampoo will dazzle you even before use!
Budget-Friendly Option: Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner Set
- Maple Holistics’ set of shampoo and conditioner is our affordable, budget-friendly choice for Asian hair. Its natural, hypoallergenic formula is perfect for any hair type. Argan Oil shampoo cleans out your hair leaving it healthy and voluminous!