It’s no secret that many women are obsessed with having long, thick hair. And while there are a number of ways to achieve this look, one of the most popular is by using permanent hair extensions. But are they safe? That’s the question on many women’s minds.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at permanent hair extensions and answer that question once and for all.
So, What Are Permanent Hair Extensions?
Permanent hair extensions, also known as hair weaves, are a special type of extension that is made from real human hair. As the name suggests, these types of extensions are designed to last for an extended period of time – typically anywhere from 6 months to 2 years with proper care.
Of course, the quality of your extensions will play a big role in how long they remain attached to your hair. And since most women use these types of extensions for cosmetic purposes, it’s important to choose high-quality hair if you want them to last longer. If you choose cheaper, lower-quality hair, you’re much more likely to experience premature breakage and other issues.
Are They Safe?
While many women wonder whether permanent hair extensions are safe, the truth is that they can be. That said, like anything else related to your health and well-being, there are some risks involved. To determine whether or not these types of extensions pose a safety risk for you, it’s important to consider a few key factors – such as your overall health, the quality of your extensions, and the method that you use to apply them.
If you’re generally healthy and have chosen high-quality extensions made with real human hair, then there is a good chance that they are safe for you – as long as they are installed by a professional in a clean environment. However, if you’re suffering from any type of disease that affects your immune system, then you may want to think twice before opting for these types of extensions.
That said, if you do decide to use permanent hair extensions, it’s important to follow a few basic safety guidelines – including washing and conditioning your real hair on a regular basis and avoiding activities that require you to pull or tug on your extensions.
So, are permanent hair extensions safe? If they are installed by a professional and used responsibly, then there is a good chance that they are safe for you. However, if you have certain health concerns and/or choose lower-quality extensions, then the risks may outweigh any potential benefits. To determine whether or not this hairstyle is a good fit for you, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons carefully.
Check out this video to learn more:
The Pros and Cons of Permanent Hair Extensions
There are a number of pros and cons associated with permanent hair extensions, including the following:
|They allow you to achieve long, thick hair without the need for costly or time-consuming treatments.
|There are certain risks involved, such as damage to your real hair or even infection if the extensions aren’t applied properly or maintained correctly.
|If installed properly by a professional, these extensions can last an extended period of time.
|You need to take good care of these extensions in order for them to last.
|They can be used to enhance your appearance and boost your confidence.
|They can be expensive, depending on the type of extensions that you choose and the quality of hair used.
Ultimately, whether or not permanent hair extensions are right for you depends on a number of factors – such as your overall health, budget, and personal preferences.
If you’re willing to take good care of your extensions and are comfortable with the risks involved, then they can be a great way to achieve the longer, thicker hair that you desire.
On the other hand, if you prefer more low-maintenance hairstyles or have health concerns that may be affected by these extensions, then it’s best to opt for another option.
Ways to Apply for Permanent Hair Extensions
There are a number of different methods that you can use to apply permanent hair extensions, including the following:
- Weaving: This is one of the most popular methods for applying permanent hair extensions. In this process, small sections of your real hair are braided and then secured around your head using clips or other types of attachments. These extensions can last for several months, depending on the quality of hair that you choose and your own individual hair type.
- Bonding: With this method, small sections of your real hair are attached to your scalp using a special adhesive or tape. This allows the extensions to blend seamlessly with your natural hair, resulting in a beautiful and realistic look. However, the bonding process requires special care and maintenance in order for your extensions to last.
- Fusion: In this method, small sections of your real hair are attached to your scalp using natural keratin or polyurethane glue. This allows the extensions to blend seamlessly with your natural hair, resulting in a beautiful and natural-looking hairstyle. However, like with the bonding method, proper care and maintenance are required for these extensions to last for an extended period of time.
- Micro-links: In this process, small sections of your real hair are attached to tiny rings that are then secured onto the extension strands using a special tool. This method allows for a very natural-looking result and also doesn’t require any harsh chemicals or damaging processes like heat styling. However, it can be more difficult to apply for these extensions yourself without the help of a professional stylist, so you may need to pay more for this type of installation.
Ultimately, the best way to apply permanent hair extensions will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Be sure to consult with a professional hairstylist or hair care specialist before deciding which method is right for you.
How to Care for Permanent Hair Extensions
To care for your permanent hair extensions, it’s important to follow a few basic guidelines – including the following:
- Wash and condition your real hair regularly. This will help keep your extensions looking their best, as well as prevent buildup that may lead to damage or premature breakage.
- Avoid pulling or tugging on your extensions, to prevent damage and minimize the risk of breakage.
- Avoid styling products that contain oils, as they can cause buildup that leads to unhealthy-looking hair over time. Instead, opt for high-quality shampoos and conditioners – as well as other products that are made specifically for use with extensions.
- Invest in a high-quality brush or comb, and brush your hair gently to remove any tangles or prevent breakage over time.
How to Protect Your Natural Hair When Wearing Permanent Extensions
As with anything, there are a few steps you can take to minimize the potential for damage when wearing permanent extensions. Here are some tips that will help protect your natural hair and maintain the longevity of your extensions:
- Avoid tight hairstyles: In order to prevent breakage from occurring at the roots, make sure that you avoid wearing your extensions in tight hairstyles, like French twists and buns.
- Take care of your natural hair: As with any type of extension, it’s important to take care of your real hair as well. Wash, condition, and moisturize regularly to keep it strong and healthy.
- Avoid using heavy styling products: While some hair care products are fine (and even encouraged) for use with extensions, others can cause damage. For example, try to avoid using gels and other sticky styling products on your extensions to reduce the risk of breakage.
- Use gentle shampoos and conditioners: When washing your extensions, it’s important to use gentle shampoos and conditioners that won’t cause much friction. If your natural hair is color-treated, then look for products designed specifically for colored hair.
- Avoid excess heat: As with any type of hair styling product, it’s best to avoid applying excess heat to your extensions on a regular basis. This means that you should limit the use of flat irons, curling wands, and other styling tools.
- Have a professional take out your extensions: Unless you know how to remove your permanent extensions yourself (and are confident in doing so), it’s best to have a professional take them out for you when you’re ready to remove them. Not only will this ensure that they come out properly, but it can also help prevent any damage to your natural hair.
If you take the time to follow these simple safety tips, then there’s a good chance that you’ll be able to enjoy the luscious locks of your dreams without causing any damage to your natural hair.
The Bottom Line
Overall, permanent hair extensions are a popular option for many women who want to achieve long, thick hair. However, as with any type of beauty treatment or product, it’s crucial to do your research and choose a reputable professional if you want the best results possible. By doing so, you can rest assured that your extensions will last as long as you need them to.
To learn more about hair extensions, be sure to check out these article: