Top 5 Best Contour Kits For Dark Skin 2023:
- Sleek Makeup Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit – Extra Dark Skin Tones
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – Contour Cream Kit (Plastic) – Medium
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Cruelty-Free Conceal Correct Contour Palette – Deep
- Black Radiance True Complexion Creme Contour Palette – Medium to Dark
- Aesthetica Cosmetics Cruelty-Free Hypoallergenic Cream Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit
Contouring is a makeup trend that is still very live and trendy.
In fact, it seems like it won’t go down any time soon.
That is why we decided to talk about it since we have seen a fair share of ladies that used or better say abused contour palette.
Usually, girls make the biggest possible mistake that they could – choosing the wrong color. This can especially be very problematic for a girl with dark skin. You might even think there is no way they can find a shade that will allow them to sculpt their face.
Contouring can be your best friend or your biggest enemy. Unfortunately, it is very easy to make yourself look ridiculous and plastic. On the other hand, if you use it the right way, it will subtly highlight your best features and make you shine in the best possible way.
Since you do not want to pass out on the opportunity to look glamorous, we are here to help you pick out the best contour kit for dark skin.
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Contour Kits For Dark Skin In 2023
1. Black Radiance True Complexion Creme Contour Palette – Medium to Dark – Good For Occasional Use
We picked out this palette since the color shades looked amazing at first glance. But little did we know that this palette has a red undertone which does not suit everyone’s tan since it can show as too orange or too red.
It is also more suitable for the night if you ask us since the contour shade is just too dark, and the highlight shades too light and shiny. In case you like to look sparkly 24/7, feel free to use it whenever.
Anyhow, the formula is creamy, but it does not blend well as all other products from this list, and it lingers to the applicator so you will have more product on your brush than on your skin. Unfortunately, it is very easy to make a mistake and apply too much of the product (read stain your face) when you have that much residue on the brush. Pigmentation is great, so you might see where the problem occurs.
This palette comes in three different shades from which one is for contouring one for sculpting and one for highlighting, but as we already said, it is just too light and does not match the other two shades well. The highlighter features a bit different texture; it’s something in between creamy and powdery, but luckily this shade can be smoothly applied on your skin.
We do recommend applying this palette kit with your fingers to avoid harsh lines and stains.
- Very pigmented
- Highlighter is very smooth
- Does not blend well
- Lingers to the brush too much
2. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Cruelty-Free Conceal Correct Contour Palette – Deep – For The Girls On Budget
The first thing we noticed is how much the NYX palette looks like MAC Studio Conceal and Contour Palette, and honestly, this NYX product can match the MAC palette in many aspects.
Let’s start with the formula, which is creamy, and it has an emollient texture. If you are used to powdered palettes or if you are about to couture your face for the first time, you might have a bit of a hard time with this product since it is pretty dense, greasy, and heavy. You must apply it and blend it with a brush or kabuki to achieve the best results and a natural look.
It is very important to use little amounts of product on your face to be able to buff it well to avoid looking artificial. Also, if you apply too much of this product, you will feel like you wear layers and layers of makeup. If you have acne-prone skin, this product won’t sit well on your face.
We tried the Deep shade palette, which comes with six creamy colors that will allow you to correct, contour, and conceal with it, and the coverage power is excellent.
What we would like to suggest is not to use the yellow-based shade to contour or conceal directly under eyes since the texture creeps and creases into more delicate lines. This is the only disappointment if you ask us since the color is great, but it just does not linger on the skin well.
- Creamy formula
- Six shades
- Great coverage power
- Great price
- Not suitable for acne-prone skin
- Yellow based shade creeps in more delicate lines
3. Anastasia Beverly Hills – Contour Cream Kit (Plastic) – Medium – Great For Beginners
We love how packaging is sturdy and sleek. If you tend to carry your contour kit with you, the packaging is crucial since you want to be sure your product is safe and well protected. Also, the palette locks with a magnetic snap, so the chances your makeup gets contaminated are downsized to a minimum.
The great thing is that the pans are removable! While we talk about pans, there are a total of six of them – three light colors for highlighting and three dark colors for contour and sculpt. All colors are highly pigmented. We choose the medium shade palette, which is great for girls with darker skin.
The formula is smooth, creamy and they are lightweight on the skin. The application is effortless, considering that the shades are all very similar and subtle, they blend great, leaving you with a fresh, natural look.
You will achieve the best results if you use the dump beauty blender and swipe the product instead of rubbing it. If you prefer a brush, use the synthetic one since it won’t absorb too much product. This product is suitable for all skin types, even acne-prone skin. It will sit pretty well on it; just make sure you first use foundation then apply the product with a kabuki brush.
It will last for up to eight hours on your face, but keep in mind this will only be possible if you used a primer before and finishing spray after countering.
- Great pigmentation and longevity
- Suitable for all skin types
- Removable pans
- Blends easily
- Provide a natural fresh look
4. Sleek Makeup Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit – Extra Dark Skin Tones – Great For Very Dry Skin
If you are a makeup enthusiast and you are all about contour, then you must have heard about Sleek. Their original powder contour palette was a major hit, and people were literally obsessing about it. But lately, the makeup industry is putting an accent on creamy contour palettes more so Sleek decided to follow up and surprise us with this great product.
We picked up the darkest palette from their assortment, which will be suitable for girls that have extra dark skin tan. The palette consists of two highlight shades and four contour shades. The formula is creamy, velvety, and lightweight on your skin. It almost feels like you do not wear any makeup on.
The colors are very pigmented yet natural and similar. As we said, the formula is very smooth so they can be easily applied since they glide across your skin with ease and blend perfectly, providing a natural-looking finish. If you have extra dry skin, you will love this formula since it is buildable.
Before you apply the product on your skin, make sure to add a couple of drops of the facial oil you use and blend them well to make the formula even creamier. This is very handy since it will help you additionally hydrate our skin while contouring.
We must warn you that if you use too much of the product, you will look like a hot mess since the colors are very pigmented, so it is quite easy to overuse it.
- Suitable for dry skin
- Smooth velvety formula
- Blends great
- Very pigmented so use it with extra care
5. Aesthetica Cosmetics Cruelty-Free Hypoallergenic Cream Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit – Creamy And Gentle On Your Skin
There are no words to describe to you guys how much we liked this palette. First, this is the only palette on this list that comes with a mirror inside, which is very practical since you can fix your makeup anywhere you go.
The second thing is that it comes with a contour mapping guide, so you do not need to Google or watch YouTube tutorials simply follow the guidelines written on the mapping chart.
The formula is so creamy and easy to apply to the fact that the chances you won’t be able to blend it well are almost none. The formula is very lightweight and gentle, so it won’t irritate your skin nor cause any breakouts. You can use it every day without worrying about damaging your skin. The coverage is excellent, and it will work great on acne-prone skin and oily skin since it leaves a matte finish.
What we consider as a flaw is that it only comes in one shade, and the manufacturer claims that all six shades are suitable for each skin tone. The palette features three light shades for highlighting and three dark shades for sculpting and contouring. So since this is the only palette from this brand, you will need to mix all of them to achieve the right color for your skin tone, which can be rather annoying.
Also, if you have a very fair or very dark skin tone, this palette won’t work for you.
- Creamy and gentle formula
- Blends well
- Suitable for all skin types
- Palette only comes in one shade for all skin tones
How To Choose The Best Contour Kit For Dark Skin
To achieve that natural look and glow, you need the right tools and makeup. You can’t expect to look good and not artificial if you use shades that are too light or too dark for your skin tone. That is why we wrote this little buying guide for you to find out everything you need to know about contouring.
1. Quality Hypoallergenic Formula
- There is no need for us to mention that a product that is intended to be put on the face must be high quality, nourishing, as well as hypoallergenic since you can never be sure how your skin will react to some particular product. Always buy makeup from a trusted brand.
2. Contour Texture Cream Or Powder
- First, you need to pick out the right texture. If you are a newbie, we recommend powder palettes since it offers the most control, and it is very easy to handle it. On the other hand, cream and liquid counter products are for more skilled individuals since mistakes are very visible (in forms of stains) and hard to cover.
- Don’t get us wrong while both are great options, but until you get more comfortable with the technique, stick to the powder product than you can graduate to a cream or liquid.
3. Pigmentation And Longevity
- These days, many brands offer to highlight and contouring duos in one palette. This is a great option since all the shades in the palette should match your skin tone perfectly.
- But if the pigmentation of the product is low and it only leaves light shade when you try it on your skin, that palette won’t serve you well since you won’t be able to point out the good areas nor to cover bad areas of your face.
- Also, longevity is crucial since none of us want to check up on makeup every so little to be sure all is good. If you combine bad pigmentation and bad longevity, you will, for sure, waste your money.
4. Choosing The Right Contour Color For Your Skin Tone
- Always test multiple colors on your skin until you figure out which shade works best with your skin tone. The rules are that for highlighting, you always pick a powder that is one or two shades lighter than your foundation.
- On the other hand, for contouring, go for one to two shades darker since you want to create a shadow. For dark skin tones, you should choose deeper shades with red or orange undertones to try both options and see which one works better for you.
- In case you are having doubts, you can go for a colder shade with grey undertones. Those colors are the safe bet, no matter if your skin is fair, medium, or dark.
- The best ally of the contour is blush, so make sure you buy a palette with blush included or buy one separately. You must be aware that if you contour and highlight your face but do not use blush after, it won’t look real or satisfying. The point is that the blush will soften your overall contoured look.
- It’s best to avoid shimmery blushes since they usually look messy and unnatural. Choose matte warm-toned products to make your cheeks pop.
6. You Can’t Do A Great Job Without A Good Tool
- Using quality brushes that blend well is essential to contouring. Blending is the most important part of the process. Some palettes do come with brushes and sponges included, and some have a tool kit that is available for purchase separately.
- When working with powder products, use natural brushes since the hairs have cuticles that absorb and release powder accurately.
- If you use cream products, we advise you to use a beauty blender or a makeup sponge to apply the product. Always invest in high-quality brushes since the blending is key to flawless contouring.
Contouring has taken the cosmetics industry by storm; everyone is doing or well trying to do it. All the palettes we’ve included in this guide feature light and dark shades, which are very handy combinations since all your products are in the same place.
Best Choice: Sleek Makeup Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit – Extra Dark Skin Tones
- Sleek is one of the fastest-growing brands that offer high-quality products for a very affordable price. The pigmentation is very strong, which is partly good and partly bad since it’s very easy to cross the thin line between looking natural and looking artificial.
Our Premium Pick: Anastasia Beverly Hills – Contour Cream Kit (Plastic) – Medium
- This palette offers an easy-blending formula with a beautiful satin finish. It compliments dark skin tones great and does not crease or settle into fine lines throughout the day, which is very important since it guarantees you a fresh look during the day. The longevity is great, and you can be confident to wear it through day and night.
Best-Budget Friendly Option: NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Cruelty-Free Conceal Correct Contour Palette – Deep
- Considering the price, this product offers very good quality, pigmentation, and longevity. Since you need to use only small amounts of this product, you can be sure it will last you for a long time. We can freely say that if you decide to purchase this kit, your money will be well spent.