Top 5 Best Cream Compact Foundations 2020:
- Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle-Defying Foundation
- Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Cream Foundation
- Covergirl Outlast All-Day Ultimate Finish Foundation
- SHANY Professional Cream Foundation Color Palette
The base of any makeup routine is a good foundation. There are many types of foundations – from liquid, mineral, and powder to tinted moisturizers like BB and CC creams. But the true king of coverage is a cream foundation.
The cream foundation often comes in compact or stick forms and is a handy on-to-go option. Their formulas have a thicker consistency and are more pigmented, thus offer a medium to full coverage. They moisturize the skin, all while covering dark spots, blemishes, acne, and scars. Not to mention how long they can last without creasing, compering to other types of foundations.
Now, finding the right compact cream foundation can be a tricky task as you have to consider many factors along the way. We’re here to narrow the search down and provide you with the list of 5 best compact cream foundations, so read along!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Compact Cream Foundations In 2020
1. Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle-Defying Foundation – Best Overall
The gold medal for this round goes to Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless cream foundation! This foundation has some of the best formulas on the market, and it also cooperates with Olay to give you the best possible skincare product.
It contains a hyaluronic complex that increases the skin’s moisture and reduces the appearance of fine lines. Next off, it contains vitamin C that acts as an antioxidant.
It also offers SPF 28 and contains niacinamide that is a great anti-aging ingredient and helps improve acne, rosacea and fades dark spots. On the other hand, it does contain fragrance that may cause allergic reactions in some people.
This foundation has a very creamy and blendable texture and glides smoothly across the skin. You can easily apply it with an included applicator, a beauty blender, or even your fingers. It is very pigmented and offers a medium to full coverage, depending on your needs.
It will hide wrinkles and fine lines effectively, but it may sink into pores throughout the day, so we recommend priming your face first. It also looks a little dry and doesn’t offer such a dewy finish, which some people may like.
The other downside that we’ve found about this product is that the collection includes 11 shades with no dark tones whatsoever.
On the plus side, it will last more than 12 hours and suit all skin types, especially mature ones needing moisture-boost.
- Includes hyaluronic complex, vitamin C and Niacinamide
- Good coverage and blends well
- Comes with an applicator
- Hides wrinkles effectively
- Lasts more than 12 hours
- Includes SPF
- Only 11 shades with no dark shades included
- May look dry on the skin or sink into pores
- Contains fragrance
2. Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation – Premium Pick
This foundation can literally cover everything – from scars, vitiligo, and acne to tattoos.
Let’s start with its formula – it contains mineral oil that hydrates the skin by locking in the moisture; it doesn’t contain fragrance, so it won’t cause any skin irritations. Moreover, it will sit nicely on top of the skin, won’t clog your pores and provides SPF 30, which is a plus.
It won’t streak; on the contrary, it stays put throughout the entire day until you wash it off. The consistency of this foundation is creamy and blends easily. The product comes with a spatula applicator that will help you scoop the right amount, and we recommend applying it with a dampened beauty blender or a brush.
This foundation is transfer-resistant, which is not so common with these types of powders. It won’t smear or transfer on your clothes or hands. You’ll only need a small amount of it for the full coverage since it is highly pigmented.
The downside for us was its price, but considering the amount you get, it is acceptable. Also, while it doesn’t feel heavy on the skin, it creates a heavy look on the skin’s surface. The finish is something between dewy and matte, but if you’re looking for the one that creates a more natural look, this isn’t your pick.
However, this collection offers 21 shades ranging from very light to deep dark tones, which is a big plus!
- Full coverage
- Doesn’t clog pores
- Wide range of shades
- Doesn’t crease
- Comes with spatula applicator
- Looks heavy
3. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Cream Foundation – Budget-Friendly Option
The one that we’ve found very effective yet very affordable is this Neutrogena Healthy Skin compact cream foundation. It has SPF of 55, and we like the fact that it covers both UVA (tanning and sunburn) and UVB (skin aging and skin cancer) rays because most foundations include only one of these.
However, we didn’t like the fact that it contains an oxybenzone. Now, this is a chemical that is often found in sunscreens and offers excellent UV protection, but at the same time, it’s the number one culprit behind dying coral reefs.
Nevertheless, this foundation contains vitamins A, B5, C, and E, which will hydrate your skin and protect it against the free radicals. It also doesn’t include fragrance, so it’s less likely to irritate your skin.
The consistency is thicker, but it is silky and soft to the touch. It blends nicely and offers light to medium coverage that will last throughout the entire day.
If you’re looking for something between matte and glowy finish, this will be just the right option. Still, we don’t recommend this foundation if you have oily skin because it will most certainly streak.
We only wished it included a sponge applicator, but on the other hand, it does include a handy mirror. Moreover, the collection offers only 8 nude shades, which is a downside.
- SPF 55
- Contains vitamins A, B5, C and E
- Lasts long
- Includes mirror
- Medium coverage but buildable
- Contains oxybenzone
- Doesn’t include an applicator
- Only 8 shades
- Not for oily skin
4. Covergirl Outlast All-Day Ultimate Finish Foundation – Amongst The Top Rated
The one that got excellent feedback from a lot of people is this Covergirl Outlast All-Day cream foundation.
The Covergirl Outlast creme foundation is very pigmented and thick, but at the same time, very soft and smooth to touch. It comes on nicely, but it is a little hard to blend into the skin.
We didn’t quite like that the formula contains parabens, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Also, it only comes in 8 shades, so it can be hard finding the right one.
This foundation offers three-in-one coverage: foundation, concealer, and powder. The foundation is dewy at first, but after it dries, it has that smooth, matte, sort of like powdery finish.
Furthermore, this is the rare one that doesn’t feel greasy on the skin and won’t set into fine lines and wrinkles after a few hours. The fantastic thing is that it will stay put even if you’re sweating a lot.
Lastly, the black container needs to be assembled initially after opening the package, but it did seem poorly designed as it breaks apart easily. The good thing is that it comes with a mirror and a sponge applicator; thus, it’s convenient for on-to-go.
- Lasts long
- Doesn’t feel greasy
- Stays put even when sweating
- Includes mirror and sponge applicator
- Dries into the soft finish of a powder
- Poor package quality
- Contains parabens
- Only 8 shades
5. SHANY Professional Cream Foundation Color Palette – Good Value For The Price
This palette includes 15 different shades and comes at a very affordable price!
First of all, each pod’s diameter is 1,4 inches and not going to lie; you get a lot of product out of it. This product’s versatility is incredible because you can use it as a foundation, concealer, eyeshadow base, or even contouring.
There are 14 different shades and one blue shade used as a color correction shade for redness. The yellow-toned shade is best for hiding the dark undereye area. Even so, you can use several more shades from this palette as a color correction concealer, and all of them can be matched and mixed into the perfect foundation shade for your skin tone.
The consistency of these foundations is very thick and may feel a little heavy on the skin. It’s also a little tricky to apply and blend, so use a good brush and prime and hydrate your skin before applying. Also, we advise using some loose powder after the application to get the best out of it.
The formula is very creamy and buttery and creates a smooth texture on the skin’s surface. Shany cream foundation palette offers full coverage, and you can build it to a level you’re satisfied with.
Lastly, this product doesn’t crease and won’t feel greasy on the skin or settle into pores.
- 15 different shades
- Color correcting shades
- Offers full coverage
- Smooth texture
- Great for contouring or mixing with other shades
- A little heavy on the skin
- Very thick consistency
- Tricky to apply and blend
What To Consider Before Buying A Compact Cream Foundation
If you’re on the fence of buying a compact cream foundation, you will first need to know basic things to find the perfect product that will suit you in every way. In the list below, we’ve provided some useful tips on choosing the ideal cream foundation.
- Cream foundations are thick, and offer a medium to full coverage, but can sometimes feel heavy on the skin. Moreover, some of them are prone to creasing, especially if you have oily skin type.
- These types of foundations hydrate the skin and prevent it from drying. They’re best for normal to dry and even combination skin types, as it will provide radiance and luminosity, all while moisturizing the skin.
- If you have oily skin type, keep in mind that these formulations tend to exaggerate the shine even more, and the powder won’t be able to absorb the excess oil. Those with oilier complexions should opt for long-wearing and mattifying formulas.
- Sometimes it can be tough determining the right shade, as you also have to pay attention to your skin’s undertones. Some of them will have warm undertones (peach to yellow and golden) while others cool undertones (pink and bluish). Knowing which type you have will save you hours of sitting through an endless array of foundations.
- If you don’t know your skin’s undertone, there’s a simple test you can take. Take a look at your veins and skin. If you have a rosy tint to your skin with bluish veins, which you can see through underside of your wrist, you have cool-toned skin. On the other hand, if you have yellow or golden tones to your skin and greenish veins, you have warm-toned skin type.
- In addition, remember that your skin will require a slightly darker shade foundation during summer days, and you will much likely need a lighter color during winter. It is always for the best to have at least three different shades – one that perfectly matches your skin tone, one lighter and one darker color so you can mix at need. Or you can just buy the entire palette with different shades like SHANY Cream Foundation Color Palette!
- Creamy type of foundation is straightforward to apply and will slide over your skin smoothly. It won’t smudge like some liquid formulas, and it will provide much better coverage than the rest of the types.
- These types often have very pigmented complexions. Hence, a little goes a long way in this case. Pay attention to this factor, because if you want a more natural and sheer finish, we advise you to look at some liquid formulas, preferably then creamy ones.
- The last thing you want for your foundation is to cake up or wear off during the day. A good cream foundation should not settle into fine lines or crease after a few hours of wearing. Always opt for the ones that offer long-lasting formulas that can last at least 5-8 hours of wearing.
- You should always pay attention to the ingredient list whenever you’re buying any skincare product. In general, you should stay away from formulas that contain parabens, alcohol, fragrances, Sodium-Laureth-Sulfate, and retinol. Also, since almost every cream foundation includes SPF, it would be nice to avoid ingredients like Oxybenzone. Despite the fact that this chemical is proven to be very effective at reducing UV exposure, it is a hazardous irritant for human skin and also the main cause of coral reefs bleaching.
- On the other hand, the proper ingredients that you should look for are antioxidants (vitamins C, E, A, etc.), Vitamin B complex, and hyaluronic acid.
- Compact cream foundations come in the form of pressed powder. Because of their package, they’re effortless to carry around. Oftentimes, you will need to fix your foundation quickly; thus, it is always better to look for products that include an applicator or even a mirror. That way, you’ll have everything you need in one product.
Sun Protection Factor (SPF)
- Products with SPF are used to protect the skin from the harmful UV sunlight. However, most of these don’t go much higher than SPF 25, so you should always use sunscreen before applying foundation, and consider the foundation’s SPF as an extra safety measure.
- A famous brand name or popularity of one particular product isn’t guaranteed to suit your skin’s needs. Before you reach for some cream foundation, make sure it matches your skin tone, skin type, offers good coverage, and contains only the good stuff.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Even though foundations use to have a pretty bad reputation, over the years, formulas have become more skin-friendly and are less likely to clog your pores or cake up.
Nowadays, many good foundation formulas include hydrating ingredients (like hyaluronic acid) and antioxidants (like vitamin C). Most of them also include sunscreens and provide full coverage and flawless-looking skin.
All of these five above were carefully tested and selected to provide you the best possible quality. Now, we do have our favorites, and these are:
- The winner for this round is this Covergirl Simply ageless foundation! The formula is super-hydrating as it contains vitamin C and hyaluronic acid, and it offers SPF 28 to protect you from sun damage. Its creamy and blendable texture simply diminishes fine lines and wrinkles for more youthful and glowy looking skin.
Premium Pick: Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation
- The Dermablend Cover Cream Foundation offers high coverage and can cover all skin conditions, including scars, vitiligo spots, and even tattoos! It’s fragrance-free and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores or cause irritations. The only downside is the product’s price, but it can pay off in the long run, as little goes a long way.
Budget-Friendly Option: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Cream Foundation
- Amongst the affordable but most effective ones is this Neutrogena Healthy Skin cream foundation. It includes SPF 55, and the complexion doesn’t feel greasy or heavy on the skin. In addition, it contains vitamins A, B5, C, and E that protect and hydrate the skin. It’s lightweight and silky formula won’t clog your pores and provides a more natural and glowy look.