Top 5 Best Highlighters For Oily Skin 2021:
- Maybelline New York Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter Powder
- Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Highlighter
- wet n wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Born To Glow Liquid Highlighter
- Maybelline New York Makeup Facestudio Master Strobing Stick
Finding a good highlighter is never easy. It doesn’t matter how much money you invested – some are simply not going to provide you with that fabulous glow, no matter what you do.
So, you invest in some more – they’re either too light, or too dark, or they don’t have enough sparkles. Some frustration is in order now.
If you add the oily skin into the equation, it’s even harder to find a really good highlighter. Oily skin produces more sebum (face oil) than any other skin type.
That means, the skin flushes away makeup and even highlighter. That may sound unreal, but remember there are oil cleansers for makeup removal?
This is kind of the same deal, but with the oil produced from the inside. So, the key is to find products that are suitable for oily skin types.
So, you started browsing online. Only then you’ve realized that there are so many highlighters on the market. How could you choose only one?
Luckily, that is where we come in. we did the research and found the best highlighters for oily skin – read our article to find out which ones we picked!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Highlighter For Oily Skin In 2021
1. Maybelline New York Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter Powder – Best Powder Highlighter
Maybelline’s Master Chrome highlighter has been an absolute win this year – and it’s the best highlighter for oily skin there is. Not many highlighters can even match up to this one!
Powder illuminators are a must-have for everyone with oily skin. Thousands of tiny sparkles will stay on your face without budging the whole night – even when you’re out dancing!
Maybelline has been one of our fave brands of cosmetics for decades now. And for a few reasons, too. We love their mascaras, we love the FitMe collection, and don’t even get us started on Baby Lips!
It was no surprise they won our hearts with the Master Chrome highlighter, as well. It comes in a rather large packaging – so you can use it for quite some time without running out. Nobody wants to invest in a product that lasts less than a month, anyway.
The tightly packed powder comes in a few available shades. The shade range is wide enough to fit most skin tones, which is something we deem very important.
Master Chrome highlighter is highly pigmented, something that is principal for a good highlighter. Also, it can be layered on for a truly blinding glow.
- Highly pigmented
- Large packaging
- A few shades are available
- None whatsoever
2. Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Highlighter – Best For Acne-Prone Skin
Physicians Formula has been a highly popular brand, and its popularity keeps growing ever since. This brand certainly got our attention because they make specialized products for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
Whoever struggling with either of these skin types, knows what we are talking about. When you’re prone to acne and breakouts, regular skincare and makeup don’t cut it, unfortunately.
So many ingredients cause flare-ups but Physicians Formula made sure to make products free of them. All their products are free of parabens, alcohol, mineral oils, and anything that could cause your skin to go berserk.
With the current trends, everyone wants to get their shine on, and why shouldn’t you, too? With six available shades, you can easily get your glow on – no matter what your skin tone is!
The packaging is rather large so it’ll last you a good while. The highlighter is a compact powder, but its texture is kind of butter-like. Because of that, it’s fairly easy to blend in – ideal for beginners and experts in applying makeup.
Do note that the compact is a little fragile. Unfortunately, if you aren’t careful, it can break rather easily.
- Six available shades
- Highly pigmented
- Buttery texture
- Ideal for beginners and experts
- Great for acne-prone skin
- The compact is fragile and can break
3. wet n wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder – Best Affordable Highlighter
Wet n wild’s MegaGlo highlighter is one of our favorites ever since it came out. If you’re looking for a highlighter to do the job without getting the credit card involved – this is the one for you!
Wet n wild is a cruelty-free brand that used to belong in the drug-store range exclusively. Now, many of their products are considered to be in the professional range – and MegaGlo belongs there as well.
For a decent price, this product does the job surprisingly well. Oily-skinned people often worry about the highlighter and the foundation melting away during the day. MegaGlo will set your worries on their merry way!
This fabulous highlighter will stay put for as long as you need it to – even if it’s meant to stay on until the early morning hours. Do note that this product is very pigmented and glittery, so it might not be ideal for work or any type of formal setting.
MegaGlo comes in three available shades: ‘Golden Flower Crown’ for light and fair skin tones, ‘Blossom Time’ for olive and medium tones, and ‘Awesome Blossom’ for darker skin tones. All in all, most skin tones will find the right shade for them!
- Very pigmented
- Three great shades
- Decent price
- Too glittery for a formal setting
4. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Born To Glow Liquid Highlighter – Best Liquid Highlighter
NYX’s Born To Glow was the first highlighter we’ve ever tried. It was almost a decade ago, but it’s still one of the best out there. Consequently, it’s our top choice for a liquid highlighter.
It’s highly pigmented and long-lasting. As soon as it dries on your face, it stays on until you decide to double-cleanse – because that is what it takes to remove this glow from your cheekbones!
The versatility of liquid highlighters is something to keep in mind as well. This product doesn’t have to be used as a tool to highlight your high points and nothing esle.
It can also be used as a primer under the foundation, to get that glow-from-within, radiant look. You can also use it as a body shimmer or a liquid eye shadow – the possibilities are endless.
Moreover, there are four shades available. NYX is an inclusive brand – the shades range from really pale tones to very dark skin tones – something for everyone. They are also cruelty-free!
Liquid highlighters can be a little tricky to use at first. This illuminator dries rather fast, so you have to work it as soon as you apply it to achieve a flawless, seamless glow.
- Highly pigmented
- Variety of uses
- Four shades available
- Can be tricky to apply at first
5. Maybelline New York Makeup Facestudio Master Strobing Stick – Best Highlighter In A Stick
Maybelline New York is one of our favorite brands, we mentioned that already. Since there is no need to talk them up, let’s talk about the Master Strobing stick.
Strobing? What is that? Well, that is a novel makeup technique that uses extreme glow and glitter to accentuate the best features on one’s face.
With this technique, the face is virtually contoured without any actual contouring and layers of concealer. Using a well-pigmented highlighter like the Master Strobing stick will draw attention to the high points of your face.
This is, without a doubt, the best highlighter in a stick available on the market. A stick highlighter is super easy to use and apply, even for beginers – use it as if you’re using a crayon and you’ll go a great job!
The formula is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and tested by dermatologists. Its ideal for all skin types – but especially oily and acne-prone skin. It will not move or disappear from your face the whole day!
The Master Strobing stick is available in two shades: Iridescent (Light) and Nude Glow (Medium). We find this to be a flaw, because there is no shade for darker skin tones.
- Very pigmented
- Easy to apply – beginner friendly
- Great product for strobing
- A non-inclusive shade range
What To Look For When Buying A Highlighter
Buying a really good makeup product can be frustrating and rather hard. Buying highlighters is nothing different.
If you’re looking for a highlighter for oily skin, the first thing we must ask you is: are you sure you have oily skin?
Let’s check out the table:
|Oily skin||Slick and greasy in the morning|
Has blackheads and it’s usually acne-prone
|Normal skin||No major skin issues|
Some greasiness is to be expected during the summer
|Acne-prone skin||Products can cause flare-ups|
Usually normal to oily skin – but it’s caused by a sensitivity to some products or food and hormonal imbalances
|Dry skin||Feels tight in the morning|
Has rough or dry patches
|Sensitive skin||Usually has one or several skin conditions like rosacea or dermatitis|
Dry, tight skin
Has red and rough patches
We hope that you have a better understanding of your skin type now. It’s completely normal for your face to be a bit slick during the summer, and never during the rest of the year.
But that’s normal skin, not oily. And oily skin can be treated a little – with a good moisturizer. A good moisturizer will provide the skin with moisturizing agents – which the skin needs so much.
That may sound fake, as we’ve all learned to dry out our oily skin, but to no avail. So, there is this new concept where oily skin needs water.
Oily skin produces too much sebum because it lacks the basic compounds in it, mostly water. So, find a good moisturizer for your skin and you will find that the highlighter stays on even better!
Types Of Highlighters
- Enough skin talk, let’s talk about highlighters. There are a few different types, so let’s see what they are – and what is the best one for you:
|Strobing cream||It can work as an illuminating primer|
Can be layered on for an extra glow
Primary use is for highlighting high points of the face – but you have to be a pro to use it well
|Highlighting stick||Perfect for those starting out|
Apply to face like you’re using a crayon
|Compact and powder highlighters||Easy to apply with a brush|
Usually has a few tones inside
|Liquid highlighter||Pros only – it dries quickly and takes some practice to apply|
|Jelly highlighter||Consistency is somewhere between liquid and cream|
Natural glow isn’t very pigmented
- So, you should choose a highlighter according to your makeup skills. Do note that, since you’re already struggling with oily skin, you should opt for compact, powder, or stick highlighters.
- They tend not to budge during the whole night. To be honest, every highlighter will stay on your face for a good while if you apply it properly, but more on that later.
- Well, this one is something that bears talking about. For the best results, you should pick the color of your highlighter according to your skin tone.
- If you have pale to fair skin, you will look your best with icy, silver, and champagne tones. Don’t choose a golden one, as it can be too dark for your skin and probably will not achieve the desired effect – just the opposite. A highlighter too dark can make your face seem dirty and patchy.
- Medium skin tones will look amazing with golden and bronze highlighters. They will simply bring out the highest points of your face. Even if you can’t find a highlighter in the exact shade you need – go for a lighter, champagne colored one. It will be less noticeable than a shade that’s a little too dark.
- And for dark skin tones, choose a bronze or peachy colored highlighter. Stay away from cold, icy tones as they can make your face look dull, not glowing.
How To Make Your Highlighter Stay Put The Whole Night?
- When you have oily skin, applying any makeup can be a challenge to make it stay on. Especially if it’s really hot out. So, let us share with you some of our favorite tips!
- First, never skip the primer. Choose a good, mattifying base and wait for it to dry completely before you continue to the foundation. Check out our top five mousse foundations.
- Apply foundation, blend it to perfection, and apply concealer. Once you’ve done that, you probably think it’s time for highlighter? Nope, try again.
- Now, apply blush and bronzer. Then, use a fan or a fluffy brush to scope some highlighter up, and apply it to the high points of your face.
- That is, apply highlighter to your cheekbones, the tip of your nose, under the brow, on your Cupid’s bow, and some on the highest point of your forehead. We highly recommend using a fluffy brush over the fan brush – it gives you more control when applying.
- After you’re done, apply some setting powder to your face – but never before highlighter. They are the worst enemies – if you apply highlighter first, the powder will make the glow look dull.
- Make sure to spray some fixing spray (or hairspray if you’re all out) to prevent that amazing makeup look from moving during the night! Looking for a foundation palette? Read our article to see our top choices!
Best Highlighter For Oily Skin – Conclusion
To conclude, we’ve thoroughly reviewed the five best highlighters out there. Now, we realize this was a much harder task than it first seemed. Who knew the market has to offer so many great highlighters? We certainly didn’t!
But now is not the time to complain – this is the time to pronounce the best of the best highlighters. Without any delay, here they are:
Best Overall: Maybelline Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter Powder
- Maybelline nailed it with launching the Master Chrome highlighter. The shine of this illuminator blew us away! It’s perfect for oily skin stays put for hours and it’s large enough to keep you settled for months highlighter-wise. All in all, a sure winner of our ‘Best Overall’ category!
Premium Pick: Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Highlighter
- Physicians Formula Murumuru highlighter is definitely our choice for acne-prone skin. But, it’s also our number one choice for a high-end, premium highlighter. Its formula will not make your skin flare-up, but it will make you shine brighter than ever before!
Budget-Friendly Choice: wet n wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder
- Wet n wild’s MegaGlo highlighter is a compact powder that won our hearts and our ‘budget-friendly’ category. The good pigmentation and the three perfectly colored shades combined with the fact it doesn’t budge for hours made us love it even more!