Top 5 Best Foundations For Freckles 2023:
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Liquid Foundation
- Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation
- CATRICE HD Liquid Coverage
- COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Foundation
- Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation
Have you heard about the faux-freckle makeup trend? We bet you did. The natural freckles are trending right now, and if you have them on your face, you are one lucky hipster.
Consider us officially jealous.
Even though you have something that so many of us try to achieve through Instagram filters, it does not mean that you can throw away all your makeup for good. Your pigmented spots are cute and unique, but you should still enhance your natural beauty by applying a sheer-coverage foundation.
Our advice is to show off your freckles in the best light, but we can also understand if you want to cover them up completely. If so, at least try to match your foundation to the color of your skin, not the color of your freckles.
No matter what you choose – to cover up your speckles or let the freckle flag fly, we will help you find the best makeup products to achieve your goal.
Read our guide and check out our Top 5 list, and you are sure to find the best foundation for freckles and look your best!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Foundations For Freckles In 2023
1. CATRICE HD Liquid Coverage – Ultra-light formula & matte finish
CATRICE HD Liquid Coverage foundation comes in twenty-three different shades so that you can find the one that is perfect for your skin tone. Even though it features an ultra-light formula, it will still help even out your complexion and provide medium to full coverage. The effects will last from at least a couple of hours to a full day.
CATRICE HD Liquid Coverage blends easily and does not sink into the fine lines. It will not dry your skin, but it might clog the pores as the formula is somewhat thick and mattifying. On the bright side, the smooth matte finish helps hide the freckles, age spots, wrinkles, and even melasma.
This paraben-free foundation is not only skin-friendly but also animal-friendly as it is a 100% vegan. It does have a fragrance that can irritate overly sensitive skin even though the scent is not overpowering at all.
Affordable price, 30 ml of volume, and long-lasting effects are reasons enough to consider this Catrice foundation. So why not give it a try?
- Ultra-light formula
- Matte finish and full coverage
- Large selection of shades
- Can last for up to a full day
- Paraben-free, vegan product
- May clog pores
- Not suitable for overly sensitive skin
2. COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Foundation – 3-in-1 foundation for mature skin
If you want to kill three birds with one stone, consider buying this 3-in-1 foundation. COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Foundation is a combination of a foundation, anti-aging cream, and sunscreen – all in one product. It is infused with Hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C that help reduce the signs of aging, deep-set wrinkles included. The titanium-dioxide sunscreen offers SPF 28 protection to help keep your freckles at bay and protect your skin from harmful sunrays.
You can count on medium to full coverage and natural/looking matte finish. This compact foundation is also quite easy to apply thanks to the provided round sponge applicator. You have a choice of twelve different shades, so you are sure to find the one that matches your skin tone.
This light formula will cover freckles, age spots, blemishes, and wrinkles without sinking into fine lines of your skin. Due to Olay’s Regenerist addition, it is more suitable for mature aging skin. The price is reasonable, especially if you consider that you get more than one beauty product.
- Provides medium to full coverage
- Natural matte finish
- SPF 28
- A round sponge applicator included
- Feels light and moisturizing
- Keeps the signs of aging at bay
- Decent price tag
- Suitable for all skin types
- Not suitable for young users
3. Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation – Buildable coverage & smooth airbrush finish
Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation is an ideal choice to cover your freckles, dark spots, or acne scars without looking like you are wearing a mask. Thanks to its ultra-light formula, it is suitable for both normal and sensitive skin. Being infused with Hyaluronic acid, this foundation helps you combat the signs of aging as well.
Maybelline Liquid foundation is breathable and non-comedogenic, so you need not worry that it will clog your pores. It also works wonders for yellow undertones. If you want a poreless, matte satiny finish, try this foundation, you might just find what you are looking for. It is a bit oily, so you might need to apply finishing powder over it.
There are twelve shades to choose from and find the best possible match for a natural look we all crave for. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the price of this product too. It is thick and creamy and will go a long way for sure.
- One of the best drugstore foundations to cover your freckles
- Suitable for most skin types
- Infused with Hyaluronic acid and collagen
- Provides a glamorous airbrushed finish
- Moisturizing long-lasting effect
- Affordable price
- Not the best choice for those with combination or oily skin
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Liquid Foundation – Luxurious foundation with superior, long-lasting coverage
If money is not an issue, you should definitely try the luxurious Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Liquid Foundation. It is sure to cover up all your skin imperfections, including the freckles and age spots. It provides full coverage and can camouflage even vitiligo. The effects will last for up to twelve hours, even in a high-humidity environment. It has SPF 15, too, so you need not use sunscreen cream underneath it.
It is a bit more expensive than other products on our list, but little goes a long way! It also completely eliminates the need to buy and use the concealer, so it does pay off. You’ll have less clutter in your cosmetic bag too!
This 2- in-1 beauty product is waterproof as well, which makes it ideal for your summer vacation too. There are sixteen shades you can choose from. It is suitable for most skin types, but we do not recommend it for dry skin. If you still want to benefit from its incredible coverage, you can try applying a moisturizing primer underneath it.
- Superb coverage
- Covers freckles, wrinkles, age spots, and even vitiligo
- Long-lasting effects
- No need to use a concealer or a setting powder
- Doesn’t cause breakouts
- Blends easily and feels light on the skin
- Subtle scent
- Not for dry skin
- A bit pricey
5. Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation – Hydrating formula ideal for dry skin
Our previous choice was not suitable for people with dry skin, so we want to correct that injustice by presenting you with the Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation. It does a great job of covering up freckles and other skin imperfections, but it also hydrates the skin endowing your complexion with an illuminated finish. It is the best choice for mature or dry skin.
This foundation contains titanium dioxide SPF25 sunscreen cream to protect you from harmful sun rays and prevent new freckles and sunspots from appearing. There is no need to spend money on a separate sun protection products.
It is both non-comedogenic and fragrance-free, so it will not clog your pores nor irritate your skin. The product is dermatologist and allergy tested too so that you can safely use it even if you have overly sensitive skin. Animal lovers will be pleased to know that this foundation is cruelty-free. It comes in fifteen different shades and has a reasonable mid-range price.
- One of the best foundations to cover age spots
- Provides you with a dewy, illuminated finish
- SPF 25
- Hydration prowess
- Non-comedogenic and allergy-tested
- Fragrance-free and cruelty-free
- Good at covering freckles and sunspots
- It does not cake up
- You should use a silicone applicator (not included) for best results
Even though freckles can be a cute addition to your face, they can sometimes signal skin damage as well. It is, therefore, useful to know more about how they appear and what types of freckles are there.
What Are Freckles?
- In short, freckles are dark brown or reddish spots that usually appear on your face, arms, and back. Some people have freckles all over their body too. Still, they are more prominent on the parts of the body that are exposed to the sun.
- Most children have freckles, but they often gradually fade away as they age. Of course, there are always exceptions, and in this case, that means that some people develop more freckles as they grow older.
- However, you should make a distinction between aging spots that usually appear once you hit your 40s or 50s and natural freckles.
Let’s See What Causes Freckles, And Where Do They Come From?
- Freckles pop up like mushrooms as soon as you expose your skin to the harmful sun rays, especially if you have no protecting cream. Sun exposure triggers the melanin production that serves to protect your skin from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
- The sun is not the only culprit; you can blame your ancestors for your freckles as well. Your genetic heritage dictates the amount of melanin you have in your body.
- If you have more melanin, you have darker skin and are better protected from the sun. Hence, you are less likely to get freckles or suffer from sunburns.
- Less melanin means your skin needs to fight UVA and UVB rays, and that results in the appearance of freckles.
Who Is Most Likely To Have Freckles?
- People with fair skin
- People with blonde or red hair
- Those who had freckles as children
- Those that have close family members with freckles
- People that are overly exposed to the sun
It is good to know that freckles are harmless. There is no medical reason for you to try to remove them or hide them. Still, if they bother you and you think covering them up is not enough, you can try out some natural methods to lighten them up, such as applying some honey or lemon juice or rubbing them with a ripe banana peel.
If these home remedies do not help you to lighten your freckles and make them less noticeable, you can resort to different creams, peels, or bleach serums. Be careful, though, as some ingredients can damage your skin in the long run. Finally, a chemical peel and laser are your last resort, if you can afford those and do not mind such an aggressive approach.
How To Choose The Best Foundation For Freckles?
A face full of freckles can sometimes be too challenging for professional makeup artists, especially if the goal is to make the spots disappear. There are two possible approaches: You can either layer the products onto the face and attempt to cover the speckles all up or try to accentuate other features and draw attention away from your spots.
In any way, you will need a foundation.
Choosing the right foundation is tricky enough without throwing freckles into the mix. Do not worry, though; we have a few easy-to-follow guidelines for you to follow on your path to finding a perfect match.
These are the things you need to consider while you search for the best foundation for freckles.
- Do not make a rookie mistake and buy a foundation to match the color of your freckles hoping to blend them in and make them disappear. If you do this, you will end up with a face that is too dark and feel like you are wearing a mask.
- You want to appear as natural as possible, and you should thus always match the shade of the foundation to the overall tone of your skin, not your spots. Choosing the right foundation color when you have freckles is easiest if you match the shade to your neck.
2. UVA & UVB protection
- The very fact that you have freckles makes you more sensitive to harmful UVA and UVB sun rays. Moreover, your freckles can be aggravated by sun exposure. Therefore sun protection is a must!
- If you want to save money and your time and effort, you can buy a foundation that provides sun protection (at least SPF 20) instead of buying a separate sunscreen cream.
- As we have already said, it is all up to you. Still, you cannot hide your freckles without risking looking a bit artificial. If you choose a high opacity foundation that offers full coverage, you might succeed in covering up the spots, but your skin is sure to suffer, especially if you do that every day.
- Foundations that have “sheer” in their name are an ideal choice for those of you who want a less aggressive approach. Sheer foundations even out your skin tone, but thanks to their thinner consistency, they feel light on your skin and let it breathe.
- In short, try to balance coverage and lightness!
4. Skin type
- Freckled or not, you should always consider the type of your skin when buying facial products. You can have an oily, dry, combo, spotty, redness-prone or hyper-pigmented skin, and your foundation should tick off all of your needs. We recommend a water-based foundation for freckles as it is not too heavy on your skin, nor will it become oily over time.
Foundation is a must-have product, especially if you have something you need to hide!
Even though we do not think freckles need to be covered, we have done our best to find the best product to do exactly that.
Out of all the products we have reviewed, Estee Lauder is not only the most luxurious but also provides the best coverage. For this reason, we have to declare the Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Liquid Foundation to be our top-rated makeup product on this round-up.
It does bear the highest price tag, but it is a high-end foundation that works magic for your skin. It has long-lasting effects and will last you for months too!
If you have dry skin, try our runner-up product, Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation. It offers excellent coverage at almost half the price, and it doubles as a sunscreen cream too. What more could you wish for?
Our budget pick is the CATRICE HD Liquid Coverage. It is the ultra-light foundation that feels comfortable on the skin, and that makes it the best choice for everyday use.
Whichever foundation you choose, you will not be wrong. Simply decide what your priorities are and consider your skin type. We hope you’ll be pleased once you cover your spots, but we still hope you let your freckles shine every once in a while! Remember, you are beautiful as you are!