Top 5 Best Foundations For Melasma 2023:
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation
- Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation SPF 15
- L’Oreal Paris Makeup True Match Super-Blendable Liquid Foundation
- Revlon ColorStay Makeup Longwear Liquid Foundation SPF 20
- bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20
Struggling with melasma can seriously affect your self-confidence, and if you’re looking for a short-term solution to cover it up, the answer lies in makeup! More specifically – foundation.
There are a lot of great foundations that can help you feel better in your skin and have a bit more confidence. However, we strongly recommend that you visit a dermatologist and find the final solution. In the meantime, why not play with some makeup?
If you’re not sure how to choose the right foundation for melasma, don’t worry, we’ve got you. Read our list of the best foundations for melasma on the market and our buying guide, and you’ll be able to find the right one for you!
Without further ado, let’s get into it!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Foundations For Melasma In 2023
1. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation – Best Overall
NYX Cosmetics is a brand that’s somewhere between high-end and affordable, meaning it has premium quality products that come at a reasonable price. The same goes for their Stay Matte But Not Flat Foundation. If you’re looking for something that covers your melasma but at the same time looks very natural, you’ll love this one!
The good news is that the shade range is very inclusive, so whatever your skin tone is, you’ll be able to find the right shade. This foundation’s formula is very lightweight so it doesn’t feel too heavy or cakey on your face. This means it’s great for everyday use, plus, it’s long-lasting so you won’t have to touch it up throughout the day.
Although Stay Matte But Not Flat has a matte finish, it’s not too drying and it looks quite natural. This foundation can cover all of your imperfections and insecurities, including melasma, and if you’re not satisfied with how it looks with one layer, you can always build it up. Since it’s so lightweight, it looks nice with more than one layer!
With 1.18 oz, the packaging is slightly bigger compared to standard liquid foundation packaging, which means you get a lot of product for a reasonable price, and with NYX, a little goes a long way! Another great thing about NYX is that they are a cruelty-free brand, which is always awesome!
- High coverage formula covers everything
- Long-lasting and not too drying
- Inclusive shade range
- Not the best choice if you have very dry skin
2. Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation SPF 15 – Premium Pick
Being primarily a skincare brand, Shiseido has a huge advantage when it comes to makeup. Their makeup products, especially the Radiant Lifting Foundation, are made with high-quality skincare ingredients that you rarely find in makeup, like an anti-aging ingredient called hydroxyproline that stimulates collagen production. The formula is also ultra-hydrating and it has SPF 15 UV protection!
The impressive list of ingredients is not the only great thing about this foundation. It has a non-sticky formula which means it blends nicely and super easily without looking cakey or too heavy on your skin, but at the same time covering all the imperfections you may have, including melasma. It’s also non-comedogenic, so you don’t have to worry about it clogging your pores, even if you wear it all day.
This foundation is intended for normal to dry skin, but, because it’s non-comedogenic, it’s also great for combination skin. If your T-zone is oily, just make sure to apply setting powder over it and it’s good to go. The formula is made with their Radiant Reflecting Powder that provides a soft-focus effect, so your skin will look absolutely flawless!
The biggest downside of this foundation, besides the high price point, is that the shade range is not as inclusive as you might expect it to be, so make sure to check whether they have your shade!
- Formulated with anti-aging ingredients
- Has SPF 15
- Provides high coverage
- Ideal for normal, dry, and combination skin
- The price is a bit high
- The shade range is not the best
3. L’Oreal Paris Makeup True Match Super-Blendable Liquid Foundation – Best Budget-Friendly Choice
L’Oreal is one of those brands that’s been around for a long time and you just know you can trust them. They have especially come through with the True Match line that includes not only a foundation, but also powder, concealer, and blush. The shade range is absolutely incredible! With 45 shades, including all three skin undertones, there’s no way you won’t find your shade!
The True Match foundation has been a best-seller for a long time now, and for good reasons. The formula is super-blendable and it feels so lightweight on your face. It provides medium coverage but you can easily build it up if necessary. This is great because you can add a little bit more on your problematic area without it looking cakey.
On top of all this, this foundation is oil-free, and it’s suitable for all skin types. It has a natural finish and it evens your skin tone, making it look smooth and fresh. Natural finish foundations are great because you can always make them matte with a setting powder, but you can also look shiny if you add a bit of highlighter!
We were honestly surprised how affordable this foundation is, especially because it comes in a high-quality glass packaging. Besides the fact that it’s not high coverage, we haven’t really found any flaws in this incredible foundation. All in all, it’s the best one you’ll find in this price range!
- Affordable price
- 45 shades
- Smooth and natural finish
- Suitable for all skin types
- It’s not high coverage but it’s buildable
4. Revlon ColorStay Makeup Longwear Liquid Foundation SPF 20 – Not To Be Missed
One more great affordable choice is the Revlon ColorStay Longwear Liquid Foundation. This one is made for normal and dry skin, but there is also a version for oily skin. Both versions have 24 shades, including warm, neutral, and cold skin undertones.
The formula is oil-free and has an SPF 20. This is perfect if you’re struggling with melasma since you need all of the protection from the Sun you can get. It also contains hyaluronic acid, a skincare ingredient that deeply hydrates the skin. The formula’s longlasting, and Revlon claims it lasts for 24 hours. We do not recommend wearing it that long, especially if you have problematic skin. However, this foundation will stay on your face throughout the day without needing to fix it!
It’s also very easy to blend it and it’s so lightweight that you’ll forget you have makeup on. The foundation provides medium coverage, but you can build it up to high coverage by adding another layer, although one layer of the ColorStay Longwear liquid foundation will be enough to cover your melasma effortlessly.
The packaging is made of recyclable glass, so it’s environmentally friendly. It also has a pump for easy application. Overall, this is a good, affordable choice and we recommend you try the other products from the ColorStay line, including the powder, and the concealer!
- Has SPF 20
- Contains hyaluronic acid
- Long-lasting formula
- You can build it to high coverage
- Affordable price
- Not enough shades
5. bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20 – 2 in 1 Foundation and Serum
If you don’t mind investing money in makeup, one of the best high-end foundations for melasma is this one by bareMinerals. This formula is designed to feel weightless and to look natural, so it has a natural finish and medium coverage that you can build-up to high coverage.
The bareSkin Pure Brightening foundation is more than just a foundation. It’s also a serum, thanks to ingredients like vitamin C and some antioxidants. The vitamin C mixed with antioxidants makes a good brightening formula and helps defend against environmental stressors.
The formula doesn’t contain any oil, silicones, parabens, or fragrance so it’s ideal for sensitive skin. With the added protection of non-chemical SPF 20, you’ll have all the necessary protection you need all day. It’s also non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested, so it’s completely safe to use on extra-sensitive skin.
This is an ideal foundation to cover all your insecurities like melasma because it will cover it completely while still being good for your skin and without causing further troubles. Unfortunately, the bareSkin Pure Brightening foundation comes in only 20 shades, which may not be enough, so check to see if they have your shade.
If you find the right shade, we’re sure you won’t regret trying this foundation. It’s an incredible choice. Although it’s a bit pricey, it’s worth the investment for sure!
- Foundation and a face serum
- Formulated with brightening ingredients
- Buildable to high coverage
- Has SPF 20
- It’s pricey
- Has only 20 shades
Things To Consider Before You Choose The Foundation For Melasma
It’s important to be careful when choosing a foundation, especially if you have melasma. You don’t want to put something on your skin that could irritate it and cause more problems. So, things like ingredients, your skin type and shade, and SPF are crucial to consider!
1. Know Your Skin Type
- You have to know your exact skin type before you choose a foundation because if you get the wrong one, it’s money down the drain. If you already know your skin type, you’re good to go, but if you’re not quite sure, there are a lot of ways you can check.
- If your face tends to get oily throughout the day, you have oily skin, or if it’s too dry and flaky, your skin type is dry. Maybe only your T-zone gets oily, in which case you most likely have combination skin. If you struggle with neither oiliness nor dryness, your skin is normal!
- Now that you know your skin type, you can go on to choose the right shade!
2. Choose The Right Shade
- Choosing the right foundation shade for your face is easy once you figure out what your skin undertone is. All skin tones have either a warm, neutral, or cold undertone. Warm is for golden, yellow, and peach skin, cold is for blue, pink, and red skin, and neutral is the combination of the two.
- Once you know your undertone, you can easily select the right shade. The good thing is that most foundations for melasma have a lot of shades, so you’ll be able to find yours!
3. Look At Ingredients
- A lot of makeup brands formulate their foundations with ingredients usually found in skincare. This goes especially for brands whose primary focus is skincare. Some foundations have anti-aging ingredients, some have hyaluronic acid for deep hydration. You can also find foundations that double as serums, containing brightening agents like vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Since wearing makeup consistently can affect your skin in various ways, it’s good when you can get some of those beneficial ingredients from a foundation!
4. Sun Protection
- One of the leading causes of melasma is sun damage. In general, it’s highly recommended to wear SPF every single day due to potential troubles the sun can cause, like aging, textured skin, melasma, and so on.
- You don’t necessarily have to buy a foundation that has SPF. If you opt for the one without sun protection, it’s important that you wear SPF moisturizer underneath it. We cannot stress this enough – SPF is crucial if you struggle with melasma! So, choose your foundation carefully, and if you don’t feel like wearing too many layers at once, go with one that has a high SPF.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Foundation is an essential part of every makeup routine, especially if you have something you want to cover. If your melasma is troubling you, and you wish to hide it from time to time, a good foundation is all you need!
We’ve carefully selected our top choices and now let’s take a look at the best of the bunch!
- The winner of this roundup is definitely the NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat liquid foundation. Not only will it cover your melasma, but it will also stay on your face the entire day without getting cakey or shiny. It also has an inclusive shade range and a surprisingly affordable price!
Premium Pick: Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation SPF 15
- When it comes to Japanese makeup brands, it doesn’t get more luxurious than Shiseido. It’s a highly renowned brand known for its premium skincare line, but the makeup is just as impressive! Only the high-quality ingredients go into the Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation, and it’s definitely something you should invest money in if you have melasma!
Budget-Friendly Choice: L’Oreal Paris Makeup True Match Super-Blendable Liquid Foundation
- L’Oreal has to be included in a list of best foundations. It’s one of those brands that once you try it, you won’t stop using it! The True Match line, specifically the liquid foundation has a super-blendable formula that feels natural on your face and covers all of your insecurities. You can choose from 45 shades, and the price is ridiculously affordable!