Top 5 Best Lipsticks For Sensitive Dry Lips 2020:
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick
- L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Moisturizing Lip Gloss
- Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lipstick
Even when you’re having a rough morning before work, a touch of mascara and a good lipstick can do a great deal. But applying lipstick on dry and sensitive lips can quickly turn into a nightmare.
Dry and sensitive lips not only bring discomfort but can even look worse with makeup on. That’s because some lip products tend to emphasize dry patches and cracks on the lips, and it can be hard to apply the product.
Luckily, there are many moisturizing lipstick formulas available on the market. Nowadays, we have various hydrating ingredients and hypoallergenic formulas that are specially formulated for dry lips.
Naturally, it can be challenging finding the right lipstick for your needs as there are many factors to watch out for. For that reason, we’ve created this list of top 5 best lipsticks for sensitive, dry lips and included some tips on what to consider before buying one, so read on!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Lipsticks For Sensitive Dry Lips In 2020
1. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Best Overall
The absolute favorite and the one that we’ve felt like deserves our first place is this Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick! Luxurious design got our attention, and the price definitely surprised us as it is amongst the most affordable ones on the market. The packaging is also very sturdy, and the product won’t open in your bag.
This lipstick comes in 82 shades ranging from nudes, pinks, reds, browns, purples, and corals, so there’s definitely something for everyone! It also offers four different finishes – cream, sheer, pearl, and matte that you can choose depending on the occasion.
The formula contains beeswax, vitamin C and vitamin E, avocado oil, and aloe vera extract. It locks the moisture in and hydrates your lips deeply, leaving them smooth and soft to touch. Moreover, it isn’t very thick and will feel very lightweight and comfortable on your lips.
This lipstick offers decent coverage that is very much buildable, and it can last up to 1-3 hours, but only if you’re not drinking or eating anything. That’s the thing we didn’t like about this product – it tends to transfer easily and doesn’t last as long as we were expecting, so re-applying is often required. We also noticed that it applies unevenly, and you may have some areas that are better covered than others.
All in all, the cons don’t outweigh the pros, and this lipstick will give you decent coverage, and deeply moisturize your lips, so don’t miss out!
- Enriched with vitamin E and avocado oil
- Comes in a variety of shades
- Lightweight and creamy
- Decent coverage
- Sturdy packaging
- Tends to transfer
- Applies unevenly
- Not so long-lasting
2. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick – Premium Pick
This Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick has proven to be in our high-end, premium category as for quality. This lipstick formula is super creamy, silky, and goes on smoothly and evenly.
The formula includes several oils like lanolin and sesame seed oil, beeswax, and it is infused with shea butter and honey nectar. Super moisturizing formula will hydrate and condition the lips, all while offering excellent coverage.
You see, the plus side of all of these lipsticks is that they have creamy, hydrating formulas, but on the other hand, they don’t tend to have adequate coverage or staying power. But this lipstick surprised us with its highly pigmented formula!
Not only that, but it managed to stay put even after a few hours of wearing. However, pay attention as it also tends to transfer quickly on the glass, skin, or clothes. Still, it can manage to last through light drinking and snacking. It also tends to feel a little bit heavier than other creamy lipsticks, but that’s not so big of a deal.
This lipstick collection comes in over 40 beautiful shades of nudes, pinks, reds, and plums. The finish is slightly sheerer than the other lipsticks we’ve tested, and it’s not patchy. All of this makes it just right for your dry and sensitive lips, and it even comes at an affordable price!
- Enriched with shea butter and honey nectar
- Hydrates and conditioner the lips
- Good staying power
- Offers full coverage
- Goes on smoothly
- Comes in a variety of shades
- Transfers easily
- It can feel a little heavy
3. L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour – Budget-Friendly Choice
Amongst the top-rated and best-selling lipsticks on the market is this L’Oreal Paris Color Riche lipstick! It comes at a bargain price but in a luxurious looking, golden packaging. The number of shades is incredible – this collection offers 52 opulent shades to complement every skin tone and undertone.
This lipstick formula includes lanolin oil, sesame seed oil, beeswax, rosehip oil, argan oil, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin E. That’s great for dry lips as it will provide conditioning treatment and hydrate them throughout the day. However, if you have extra sensitive lips, pay attention as it also contains some fragrance and alcohol in a small percentage.
The creamy formula glides smoothly across the lips and gives that satin, subtle gloss finish. This is great for everyday wear, as it looks more natural and can make your lips pop just enough. However, if you have smaller lips, we advise you to do some lip lining with a good lip pencil first and prime your lips with a lip balm.
The coverage is pretty good, and you can build it to your level of liking. As for staying power, we can say it stays up to a few hours; thus, it could have been better. But, if you’re planning to eat and drink, make sure your lipstick case is on hand as it tends to transfer a lot, and you may need to re-apply it often.
- Contains Omega 3, vitamin E and argan oil
- Very creamy and moisturizing
- Has a subtle gloss
- Good coverage and buildable
- Comes in a variety of shades
- Transfers a lot
- Staying power could’ve been better
4. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Moisturizing Lip Gloss – Best gloss formula
So, you know how glosses tend to feel sticky and sometimes heavy? Well, this Neutrogena Hydro Boost Moisturizing lipstick amazed us with its non-sticky formula!
First off, this lip gloss is formulated with hyaluronic acid and castor seed oil. Hyaluronic acid is well-known for its skin benefits, especially at reducing fine lines and wrinkles. It will hydrate your lips and speed up the healing process. Furthermore, as it locks the moisture and fills up lip cracks, it will give the appearance of fuller, plumper lips.
On the other hand, a well-known humectant – castor oil, will provide hydration and deep conditioning to your chapped and sensitive lips. This lip gloss is not only moisturizing but also very lightweight.
The finish of this lipstick is sheer but still glossy and supple. Thus, it gives that natural-looking, fuller lips without having to overline or contour them. The drawback for us, but not so unexpected thing, is that it’s not so rich in pigment. Less pigment often means less color payoff, but you can easily build it to medium coverage.
Also, the staying power is good, and it will not transfer so quickly compared to other lipsticks in this category. The big downside for us is the packaging of the product.
The applicator is flat and wide, and it is tough getting it in and out of the container. Moreover, because the applicator is wider than the container opening, it doesn’t pick much of a product. Also, a flat, sponge brush is not so handy for applying the color in your lips’ corners.
- Formulated with hyaluronic acid
- Creates fuller lips look
- Glossy, supple finish
- Less pigment
- Packaging could be better
5. Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lipstick – Best Natural Ingredients Formula
Last but certainly not least is this Burt’s Bees Moisturizing lipstick. Burt’s Bees is famous for its moisturizing products that contain essential oils and natural extracts.
Found in 1984., Burt’s Bees are most famous for their beeswax lip balm that remained their best selling product even today. So, if you have sensitive and dry lips, this company will provide all of the skincare and makeup products you’re looking for.
This lipstick formula includes castor oil, beeswax, sunflower oil, moringa oil, raspberry seed oil, and vitamin E. Almost all-natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals make it ideal for sensitive lips. Moisturizing formula will hydrate and soothe your lips, leaving them soft and conditioned.
Moreover, this product doesn’t contain any fragrance or parabens, and it won’t cause any irritations or allergies. It’s also very creamy, so it feels very comfortable on the lips, almost like wearing a lip balm.
The finish of this lipstick is satin, and sheerer like. You can build up the color, but it won’t offer full coverage. The other downside is that it fades quickly, so the staying power is not so good.
Nevertheless, this lipstick collection offers 18 shades, and you can choose from pink, nudes, reds, and plums. Burt’s Bees lipstick is Ideal for everyday wear, and you can easily apply it instead of your lip balm as it is very hydrating.
- Infused with moringa oil, raspberry seed oil, and vitamin E
- Contains no parabens
- Comfortable on the lips
- Offers a variety of shades
- Smooth, satin finish
- Coverage could be better
- Fades quickly
What To Keep In Mind When Buying Lipstick For Sensitive Dry Lips
- Whenever you are buying any new skincare product or makeup product such as lipstick, you should always check for the ingredients first. The most common misbelief is that discomfort such as tingling, burning, and stinging is a sure sign that a product’s components are working. We hate to break it to you – that’s not what’s happening! Any discomfort usually means that the product is irritating your lips, and you should stop using it.
- To prevent this from even happening, here is the chart of the ingredients you should look for and avoid when it comes to lipsticks:
|Retinyl palmitate, Retinyl acetate, Retinoic acid and Retinol||Ceramides|
|Tocopheryl acetate||Hemp seed oil|
|Triclosan||Castor seed oil and Jojoba oil|
|Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives||Antioxidants (vitamins E, B, C, etc.)|
|Sodium Laureth Sulfate||Omega 3 fatty acids|
|Petroleum distillates||White petroleum jelly|
|Flavoring: citrus, cinnamon, mint, and peppermint flavors||Almond oil|
|Camphor||Rosehip oil or Green tea|
|Eucalyptus||Honey and Aloe Vera|
|Octinoxate or oxybenzone||Titanium oxide or zinc oxide|
|Salicylic acid||Grapeseed oil|
Lipstick Shades And Skin Tone
- Sometimes it can be tricky determining the right shade that will complement your skin tone and undertones the best. So, here are some guidelines:
|Skin tones and undertones||Lipstick shades|
|Fair and light skinCool undertones||Soft mocha or nude shades|
|Medium skinCool undertones||Pink or cranberry shades|
|Tan or deep skinCool undertones||Ruby or wine shades|
|Fair and light skinWarm undertones||Pale pink or peachy nudes|
|Medium, tan or deep skinWarm undertones||Copper or bronze shades|
|Neutral skin tone||A broad spectrum of colors (cool and warm tones)|
Every lipstick collection usually has different finishes to choose from, so you can be ready for any occasion. These are the lipstick finishes you should distinguish:
- These are the best option for dry and sensitive lips as they feel so comfortable on the lips. Cream finishes look more natural and soft and usually have hydrating formulas. The only downside is that these often don’t offer high coverage and have to be often re-applied.
- Sheer finishes have buttery consistency and also look very soft and natural. They’re excellent for an everyday look and are more like a tinted balm. They come off easily, so you always have to have it in your purse.
- Satin finishes have a pearl-like sheen when dry. Also, they have an excellent color payoff and pretty good wear time.
- Matte finishes are the most popular versions but also the worst choice for dry and sensitive lips. Excellent pigmentation and wear time are a plus, but on the other hand, they tend to dry out lips even more.
- Metallic finishes are very pigmented, but we wouldn’t say they’re the best option for everyday activities. These draw attention to the lips and tend to be tricky to apply. They are often used for fashion magazine shoots or editorial looks.
- If you have sensitive and dry lips, it is best to avoid long-lasting formulas that will further dry out your lips or even irritate them. These lipsticks often don’t have hydrating ingredients and contain more pigment and wax, making them more opaque and long-wearing.
- However, since there are almost no added oils, their overall texture is drier and will settle in your lips’ crevices and cracks. If you’re still in the mood of wearing these formulas, at least make sure to exfoliate and properly hydrate and prime your lips before applying the lipstick.
What Causes Dry Lips?
Unfortunately, our lips don’t have moisture-producing oil glands, and the skin on them is much thinner than on the rest of the body. Because of that, many of us suffer from chapped lips that sometimes come with flaky patches. Also, some people experience cracks and even bleeding, which may be painful.
Although there are many environmental factors and health conditions that can cause dry lips, here are the most common ones:
- Cold and dry weather
- Licking or biting lips frequently
- Spicy foods
- Sun damage
- Certain medications (cholesterol-lowering agents, antihistamines, diuretics, chemotherapies, etc.)
- Supplements like vitamin A, lithium and retinoids
- Lip products with drying ingredients such as menthol, phenol, camphor or fragrances
- Thyroid disease, inflammatories, vitamin deficiencies, etc
How To Prevent Dry Lips
There are number of ways you can prevent your sensitive lips from drying out even more:
- Avoid lip balms and lipsticks that contain ingredients like menthol, camphor, fragrance, phenol, parabens, etc.
- Avoid long-lasting matte formulas because they’re going to dry out your lips even more. Plus, it won’t look good or glide across the lips smoothly.
- Use products that are fragrance-free and labeled hypoallergenic.
- Apply lip balms made mostly of natural ingredients.
- Drink plenty of fluids and eat water-dense veggies.
- Invest in a good humidifier as it will help moisture the air and also your dry lips.
- Avoid smoking as much as possible.
- Don’t lick or bite your lips.
How To Soothe Dry Lips
- Exfoliate your lips gently as no product will be able to penetrate without good exfoliation of dead skin cells;
- Wear lip balm regularly, and always apply it as a primer before lipstick.
- Apply a dry lips treatment overnight in a thick layer.
- Try natural remedies such as coconut oil, cucumber, honey, green tea, and aloe vera.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
After all, we know how challenging it can be to find the lipstick that will suit your sensitive and dry lips. That’s why we’ve thoroughly searched the market to provide you with the best hydrating and creamy formulas. A few things are certain – avoid long-lasting matte formulas and always look for oils and vitamins in the ingredients list.
We have to admit that it was hard selecting only 5 of them, as there are so many quality lipsticks on the market. Of course, we have our favorites, and without further ado, let’s review them:
Best Overall: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
- Our top choice for this round is this Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick! There are many different shades and finishes to choose from, and they’re super-rich and creamy. Moisturizing formula with avocado oil and vitamin E will hydrate your lips and make them pop!
Premium Pick: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick
- The premium quality Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick deserves our second place for a few good reasons. It is enriched with shea butter and honey nectar and will moisturize your lips and leave them soft after every application. The creamy, silky texture glides over lips and lasts up to a few hours of wearing!
Budget-Friendly Choice: L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour
- This L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche lipstick is exceptionally affordable yet fantastic! This lipstick comes in 52 gorgeous satin shades that will give that plump looking lips. Super hydrating formula enriched with Omega 3, vitamin E, and Argan oil will glide across your lips and leave them smooth and soft.