Working as a hairdresser takes a lot of skill and knowledge. You have to be prepared to deal with whatever type of hair walks through your door.
You think that you are experienced enough because you mastered straightening afro hair, but do you know how to curl Asian hair?
It would help if you learned some things, and by reading this article, we will walk you through a procedure on how to curl straight Asian hair, what products to use for proper care, and many more interesting facts.
So, don’t go anywhere!
Care for Asian Hair
Like we already mentioned, different hairstyles require different treatments. When it comes to Asian hair, in most cases, it is very smooth and straight, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t learn something about taking care of it.
Washing, styling, and products have a strong impact on this type of hair.
Let’s start with some basics, like washing. Generally, Asian hair should be washed and conditioned two to three times a week. It would be best if you didn’t wash it very often because it is not that, so you are protecting yourself from losing your hair. Not to mention the split ends that come with constant washing and drying your hair.
Those who have trouble washing their hair, and feel like they need to do it more often, try using dry shampoo. This will not damage your hair that much, and it might help.
What about coconut oil?
This product is mentioned in every context that has to do with hair care, so it must be that good.
It is. The protein contained in coconut oil gives your hair the needed strength and volume. It works with any type of hair: brittle, dry, or damaged.
Stylish Asian Curls
If your customer is Asian, you are most likely dealing with hair that has been straight all of her life. Now, she wants it curly, and I’m guessing you could use some tips.
Don’t worry. Here is a simple tutorial on how to curl Asian hair and leave your customer satisfied.
If you are doing this on your own, it is advisable to wash your hair the night before so that it can dry properly. If you are in the salon, the process is much quicker, and the hairdresser will wash and dry it for you. You should use a conditioner and shampoo.
Note: your curls will not be good if you do not dry your hair thoroughly.
The next thing you do is apply thickening spray. Asian hair is mostly thin, and curls could fall easily. You should use this product right after you have washed and dried your hair. It will give it that thicker look and volume.
After putting the thickening spray on your hair, use a wide tooth-comb, carefully brush through the hair, and get rid of every tangled part. If you do it right, only then will your hair be smooth enough for the curly look you are looking for.
Divide your hair into small and even sections after you have combed it.
Use a curling iron and heat it. Go through each section of the hair but don’t put too much pressure on it because you will burn it and damage it. Hold the curling iron for a couple of seconds in your hair before letting it go.
The secret to this hairstyle is applying hairspray before and after the curling. Before you curl each section, take hairspray and spray a little bit of it on every section. Give it a few seconds after you spray, and then curl it. Do this with the entire hair after you have curled it. This will make your curls intact, believe me!
You can finish this process with some pomade. What is that? Pomade is a hair substance used by many hairdressers to make your hairstyle last, hold its shape, and give it a little bit of shine. This is a water-based substance, so it is entirely harmless, and it won’t make your hair greasy.
That was about it.
If you are not good with time or can’t get an appointment, you can always follow a quick tutorial showing how to achieve stunning Asian curls in the comfort of your own home.
To watch how to curl Asian hair at home, click on the link below.
If you liked your hair curled and would like to do it more often now, you should also invest your time in properly taking care of it. And you can do that by following the tips we have prepared just for you.
- Use a good deep conditioner – you should use a deep conditioner once a twice a week to give your hair the extra moisture it needs. This product can also protect your hair from damage, pollutants, UV light, and give it the shine it needs.
- Use a clarifying shampoo – you should use clarifying shampoo once a week to build-up your hair and get rid of the dirt. You can also add some moisturizing shampoo after this, but that is up to you.
- Avoid chemical processes – most people today opt for chemical relaxers – don’t do that. If you want your hair to stay smooth, soft, and healthy, avoid unnecessary coloring, and use chemical relaxers.
If you feel like you really need to color your hair, use henna.
- Trim your hair regularly – the worst part about the hair must be those split ends. To avoid this problem and make your hair grow faster, visit the hairdresser once a month for a little trim.
Top Asian Hairstyles
A particular celebration is coming up, you have your outfit and make up ready, but you have no idea what to do with your hair.
To help you narrow the choices down a bit, here are some of the most popular Asian hairstyles in 2020:
- Smoky purple ombre – the perfect blend of dark purple and icy blonde/
- Modern shaggy Asian style – cool 70s girl hairstyle
- Black to light brown ombre waves – always the right choice.
- Asian medium hairstyle with textured waves – a universally flattering cut.
- Asymmetrical bob – a new trend for any face shape.
- Choppy cut with wispy bangs – a casual but beautiful look.
- Mermaid waves with side cornrows – edgy and unique look for an unforgettable party.
- Long half-updo with accessories – if you want that extra sparkle, put some accessories in there.
- Blue braided festival hair – no description needed.
What Products Should I Use?
We have determined that Asian hair needs some special treatment, requiring special products to maintain its healthy and natural look.
Here are the top 5 recommended products for Asian hair:
- Lador – TripleX 3 Natural Shampoo – this shampoo is packed with all kinds of healthy ingredients that moisturize your hair and give it the shine it needs. This should be applied to the entire scalp, rinsed with warm water, and conditioned.
- Kao – Merit Scalp Shampoo Brush – this shampoo is excellent for getting rid of dead skin cells. You should massage it for about 2-4 minutes to get the full effect.
- Cosme Station – Kumano Horse Oil Conditioner – this is considered the best conditioner for Asian hair out there. You will see the difference after one use.
- NATURE REPUBLIC – Argan Essential Deep Care Hair Essence – if you want your hair to keep that volume and strength, use this product twice a week. But do not go overboard with this substance.
- SOME BY MI – Miracle Repair Treatment (1x a week) – this is perfect for a silky look. Apply this once a week after you have washed and conditioned your hair.
How To Curl Asian Hair – Conclusion
When it comes to Asian hair, in most cases, it is very smooth and straight, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t learn something about taking care of it. Generally, Asian hair should be washed and conditioned two to three times a week. And if your customer wants to curl her hair, there is an easy way in which you can do this.
First, you should wash your hair. The next thing you do is apply thickening spray. After you have put the thickening spray on your hair, use a wide-tooth comb and carefully brush through the hair, getting rid of every tangled part. Take a curling iron, heat it and go through each section of the hair but don’t put too much pressure on it because you will burn it and damage it. To finish, apply some pomade to protect your hair.
Here are some tips for taking care of Asian hair: use a good deep conditioner, use a clarifying shampoo, trim your hair regularly, and avoid chemical processes.
If you are out of ideas on what to do with your hair for an upcoming celebration, here are a few ideas to take to the hairdresser: smoky purple ombre, modern shaggy Asian style, mermaid waves with side cornrows, asymmetrical bob, or blue braided festival hair.
No matter what type of hair you have, you should always look for products that will take care of it. Here are the top five products for taking care of Asian hair: Lador – TripleX 3 Natural Shampoo, Kao – Merit Scalp Shampoo Brush, Cosme Station – Kumano Horse Oil Conditioner, NATURE REPUBLIC – Argan Essential Deep Care Hair Essence, and SOME BY MI – Miracle Repair Treatment.