Top 5 Best Mousse Foundations 2021:
- Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Mousse Foundation
- Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation
- Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation
- Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
- M. Asam 4-in-1 – Primer, Foundation, Concealer, And Powder
Mousse foundation is nothing new in the cosmetics market. It’s been around for decades now. Sure, in the teenage years, we all had that small tub or two of mousse foundation. It was a must-have, really.
We loved the mousse foundation back then – it was something every allowance could afford. There were a few tones to choose from then, and they seemed kind of wrong for anyone.
Needless to say, the orange skin vibe was strong in those days. Thankfully, we all figured out at some point what is the tone that fits our skin tone the best (at least we hope so). So, there are quite some mousse foundations shades and brands to choose from now.
Even we were taken by surprise. So, if you want a mousse foundation, you could easily get lost in the search. There are so many – and what is the best one?
Luckily, we’ve got your back. Read on to find out what are our top picks on mousse foundations!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Mousse Foundations In 2021
1. Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Mousse Foundation – Best Mousse Foundation
Covergirl and Olay decided to collaborate and create some cosmetic products together. Since Covergirl and Olay are leaders in the American cosmetic industry – it was about time!
They collaborated and made a mousse foundation – Simply Ageless Mousse. There are a few reasons why this one made it into our ‘best mousse foundation category’.
First of all, it moisturizes your skin. The formula is one of the best on the market – without a doubt. A hyaluronic complex, with the addition of vitamin C – will make your skin feel the benefits in just a few uses.
After removing the foundation, the skin is left moisturized, dewy, and supple. Vitamin C is proved to serve as an anti-aging compound, preventing the first wrinkles and helping your skin look more even-toned.
And if you’re struggling with the first wrinkles already, worry not. Covergirl and Olay’s whipped foundation will fill them in and make them disappear for the day!
Another great thing about the Simply Ageless foundation is the SPF. With SPF 28, you’re settled for any daily activities out in the sun. No need to apply the SPF fluid before this mousse!
Also, Simply Ageless comes with the famous bunny stamp. Meaning, this foundation is produced cruelty-free!
- Covers wrinkles
- Formula with SPF 28
- None that we could find!
2. Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation – Foundation With A Luxurious Feel
Dermablend is one of the largest cosmetic manufacturers in the US. There is a reason why their mousse foundation made it into our premium category. So, do note that the price of this product leans more towards high-end prices.
This mousse foundation promises a lot, and it delivers! The formula is great – it was developed with dermatologists, so even those with very sensitive skin can use it!
The hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, non-comedogenic formula makes this product such a great buy. It’s suitable for all skin types.
Dermablend’s foundation also has an SPF in their formula, just like our number one. With SPF 30, you’re completely safe from dangerous sun rays!
The pigments are tightly packed, up to 40% of the formula is the pigment. Thankfully, that doesn’t affect the ability to blend – it blends in your complexion well.
This product offers medium to full coverage, but it’s leaning more towards full. No need for extra concealer or another coat of foundation – this one covers it all!
The formula has moisturizing agents, so say goodbye to dry skin! The finish is velvety, silky smooth. Do note that if you go overboard a little, it will look cakey and layered.
- SPF 30
- Moisturizing formula
- Perfect for sensitive and oily skin
- Full coverage
- Can look cakey if you apply too much
3. Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation – Best Value For Money
Maybelline’s Dream Matte mousse foundation is one of the best out there. Maybelline is considered a household name in decorative cosmetics for decades now.
So many products made by this brand have been bestsellers, and Dream Matte Mousse is no different! If you’re looking for a mousse foundation and you don’t want to spend a large sum of money on it – this is the one!
For a decent price, Maybelline delivers a great, long-lasting whipped foundation. The company promises up to 16 hours of wearing!
This foundation will simply not move during the day. Use a double-cleansing method to remove the foundation once you get home.
The finish is smooth and matte and offers medium to full coverage – so it’s a great option for those with textured skin. Maybelline recommends using their Pore Eraser primer beforehand for an extra-smooth finish.
The next great thing about Maybelline’s mousse foundation is the non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic formula. Conclusively, it’s suitable for all skin types – from sensitive skin to oily, problematic skin.
Do note that if you do have dry skin, this foundation might not be for you. If you struggle with dermatitis, this mousse foundation will make it look worse than it is.
- Non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic formula
- Long-lasting foundation
- Smooth, matte finish
- Great for textured skin
- Not good for dry skin
4. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation – Shine Control Foundation
Rimmel’s Stay Matte is also one of the best mousse foundations available. The whole ‘Stay Matte’ line of products from Rimmel has been an absolute win – and this product was no different.
The formula is ultra-lightweight, you won’t feel like you’re wearing a ton of makeup on your face. Even if you go overboard a little, it won’t result in makeup looking caked on.
This is an extra long-lasting foundation, as well. It’s a great option if you’re going to a wedding or any event where you’ll be dancing (and sweating) a lot. Rimmel’s mousse will not budge, whatever you’re doing!
Rimmel’s whipped foundation is great for oily skin. Those with skin on the dried skin will not appreciate this foundation, as it can make the skin look even drier.
Those of us struggling with oily skin know how hard it is to choose a foundation that will look good all day. The sebum (oil from our skin) tends to remove foundation and result in it looking patchy and unattractive in a matter of hours.
The formula is oil-free and non-comedogenic. You can wear the mousse without worry it might oxidize and turn orange at the worst possible moment.
- Long-lasting foundation
- Oil-free formula
- Smooth, matte finish
- Great for oily skin
- Not suitable for dry skin
5. M. Asam 4-in-1 – Primer, Foundation, Concealer, And Powder – Foundation With A Variety Of Uses
M. Asam’s mousse foundation is something different. It offers up to four different products, all in one tub. This mousse foundation can work as a primer, a mousse foundation, concealer, and powder. Ah-mazing!
If you use a tiny amount – it can work as a primer for liquid foundation. And if you use a decent amount, it works as a mousse foundation with light to medium coverage – but nothing near full coverage.
If you just want to set your face, take a big brush, and take some mousse with it. Now, you’re using the mousse as a powder! It can also work as a concealer. Take some with a concealer brush, and dab it onto the area you want to cover.
This is a great product if you’re just starting in makeup and you don’t want to spend a lot of money on tons of products
The skin looks wonderful and silky smooth after application. M. Asam’s mousse makes pores and wrinkles less visible while offering a truly matte finish. Also, the formula is non-comedogenic and suitable for all skin types.
- Variety of uses
- Non-comedogenic formula
- Silky smooth finish
- Covers pores and wrinkles
- Isn’t full coverage
What To Keep In Mind When Buying A Mousse Foundation
Mousse foundation is also known as a whipped foundation. It comes in a tub, a bottle, or a tube.
So, before going out shopping, let’s determine one thing. Is this type of foundation even the right choice for you?
Let’s check out the table:
|Gel foundation||Light coverage|
For young, clear skin without blemishes
|Mousse foundation||Medium to full coverage|
All skin types
Matte, powdery finish
|Cream foundation||Medium to full coverage|
All skin types
Matte, even finish
|Liquid foundation||From light to full coverage|
Aging skin, but suitable for all skin types
Finish depends on the brand – from dewy to full matte
So, check out the table to figure out if that is what you want. Mousse foundation is great – since it’s matte it can be very long-lasting.
It’s the optimal foundation when you’re going to work or any special event. It simply will not move until you come home and use your cleanser to remove it.
It gives the skin a velvety, silky smooth feel. It’s also the best foundation for those with combination or oily skin. The powder inside the foundation will absorb any excess oil so your makeup won’t budge even when it’s really hot out.
Want sheer, light coverage? Check out our article on the best Korean CC creams.
You want the foundation to blend in with your skin and create a skin-like feel. You also want it to be lightweight – who wants to feel like they’re wearing a ton of caked-on makeup?
Picking Out A Shade
- This one’s a toughie. How many times have all of us bought a shade of foundation that was nowhere near your skin tone?
- We think everyone has made that mistake at least once. Well, first of all, you will make a mistake if you’re trying it out on your palm.
- Your palm’s tone can be nowhere near your face tone. So, when you’re using a tester at the store, apply some on your jawline or neck.
- Then, go out of the store and check out how does the color suit you during the daylight. Store lights can be pretty different than natural light – you can look great inside and look a clown once you go out!
- There are a few things to check in the ingredients list. First of all, the whipped foundation should provide you with some sort of hydration. The powder will dry out the skin without a compound that offers at least some moisturizing.
- So, look for an ingredient like hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, or glycerin. Glycerin is a great moisturizing agent, and it’s usually three times cheaper than a product with hyaluronic acid.
- Next, look if there are any mineral oils listed in the ingredients. If there are, this mousse foundation might not be able to provide you with a long-lasting seamless finish.
- Last but not least, look for alcohol listed in the ingredients. Isopropyl alcohol (or rubbing alcohol) and alcohol denat. (denaturalized alcohol) will dry out your skin or even give you irritations. Avoid alcohol in all cosmetics!
Avoid Comedogenic Formulas
- Some ingredients can be comedogenic. A comedogenic ingredient means it clogs your pores and makes your face produce more oil. As a result, your face is oilier and you will probably get small, bump-like pimples.
- Comedogenic ingredients usually are lanolin oil, avocado oil, beeswax, coconut oil, alcohol, etc. Usually, if the foundation contains oil, you should steer clear from it.
- Struggling with textured skin? Read our article on the best foundations for that skin type.
- Sales of cosmetics in the US measured in the US dollar, a 10-year overview (2012-2022):
|2020||84 billion (estimate)|
|2021||86 billion (estimate)|
How To Apply Mousse Foundation Like A Pro
- If you want your skin to look radiant and your foundation to be silky smooth, follow the instructions as given. This way, your skin will look like it’s glowing!
- Wash your face and do a gentle peeling (no need for peeling if you’re an avid Clarisonic user or an AHA/BHA lover);
- Apply toner and moisturizer;
- Apply sunscreen if you’re going out during the day (your skin knows how often you skip this step, even if others don’t);
- Apply a primer for an extra long-lasting finish;
- Use a brush or a finger to take some foundation out and apply it in spots over your face;
- Use a brush, a makeup sponge, or even your fingers (but we advise you against that) to glide the foundation over your skin;
- Be careful around the eyes, brows, and nose and go over your neck to make a transition to your skin tone;
- Once you’re done applying, continue putting on makeup as usual;
- When finished, use a setting spray to make sure your makeup won’t move during the event;
- And you’re done. Now it’s time to enjoy yourself and your new foundation!
- Of course, you don’t have to follow the guidelines we gave you word to word. Makeup should be fun, at all times – so think of this as advice!
Best Mousse Foundation – Conclusion
Well, we did it! We found five amazing mousse foundations and reviewed them for you. Believe it or not, this was super-hard for us. There are so many great mousse foundations out there – we could barely pick five! However, now is the time to pronounce the best of the best. Without any further ado, here are our top picks:
- Collab of Covergirl with Olay created one of the best mousse foundations on the market. Coincidentally, it’s our top choice as well. This foundation has it all – even a good SPF included in the formula – what’s not to love!
Premium Pick: Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Cream Foundation
- Dermablend’s Cover Creme is our premium, high-end choice for a mousse foundation. It does everything – it moisturizes, protects from sun rays, and offers full coverage! The price may be higher than usual, but this foundation offers so much – it’s worth it!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation
- Maybelline’s Dream Matte Mousse is our affordable, budget-friendly pick. Want a mousse foundation without breaking the bank – pick Maybelline! Its velvet-like finish and the full coverage make this whipped foundation a great buy!