Top 5 Best Shampoos For Weaves 2021:
- OGX Extra Strength Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo
- Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo
- Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Lather-rich Deep Moisturizing Shampoo
- TIGI Bed Head Resurrection Shampoo/Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo
Taking care of your hair is no easy job. It takes some prior knowledge, or some good trial and error before you get it right. And sometimes, even after years of doing it, you’re still doing it wrong.
Wearing a weave seems like an effortless way to achieve fantastic looking hair. In reality, that’s not always the case. To be fair, it’s not exactly rocket science, but for a good weave, you need to take care of it properly.
For example, if you don’t take good care of it, it will not be as long-lasting as you want it to be, and we all know how expensive good weaves are. How many people can afford to ruin their all-natural weave?
Well, not many. We can’t, that’s for certain. The key to keeping your weave shiny and attractive is washing it regularly – if it’s removable, at least once every two weeks.
It seems like washing a wig is redundant, since no oils are collecting on the weave. That’s simply not true – wigs can get build-up just like human hair. When it gets build-up it will start looking dull, and it might even start to shed.
To keep this from happening, wash the weave regularly. What’s that you say – you don’t know a good shampoo for weaves? Well, we know the best shampoo for weaves – and we found five amazing products! Read our article to find out what our top choices are!
Detailed Reviews: 5 Best Shampoos For Weaves In 2021
1. OGX Extra Strength Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo – Best Coconut Shampoo
OGX is one of the top commercial brands for hair and skincare. They create organic, natural formulas that take care of your whole body.
We love their Coconut Miracle Oil line so much, we reviewed their body lotion – you can read our article about the best lotions for black skin. So, it was no surprise we loved the shampoo from the same line!
This is, by far, the best shampoo for weaves. It’s the ideal ratio of price and quality, and it will take good care of any type of weave.
The smell is amazing, too. The coconut scent stays in your hair until the next wash, but it’s not overpowering.
We feel this is the ideal choice for Indian weaves because it tames down coarse hair types. It also has moisturizing agents and coconut oil, which will provide moisturization for your hair and result in your locks being super shiny.
OGX shampoo is sulfate-free, so it has mild surfactants that are ideal for even the futura and synthetic weaves. Just make sure to rinse the hair thoroughly!
The whole formula is simple and without too many ingredients – it’s even paraben-free. It does the job of cleaning hair, pure and simple.
- Enriched with coconut oil
- Ideal for all weave types
- None that we could find!
2. Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo – Best Shampoo For Treated Weaves
Redken is one of the go-to professional range haircare brand. This brand is known for its quality, and it’s one of the best (and most expensive) brands out there.
On the other hand, the price is justified when we’re talking about Redken. Their products do the job they’re hired for – and the results are seen almost instantly.
Their Color Extend Magnetics shampoo is our number one pick for a high-end shampoo. This shampoo is an amazing choice if you decided to color, bleach, and heat style your hair.
So many people decide not to change up their look because they don’t want to ruin their weave. What they don’t know is that a good haircare regimen will keep the weave looking good even after a balayage or regular straightening with an iron.
The formula is sulfate-free, so it’s ideal for even the synthetic hairpieces. However, the ideal way to use it is on color-treated hair.
This shampoo promise to extend the hair color. So many commercial shampoos strip the color off the hair in just a few washes, but not Redken!
Do note that the shampoo is very thick. It can be tricky to get out of the bottle, even if you squeeze it.
- Maintains the color
- Prevents the damage
- Good formula
- Thick consistency
3. Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Lather-rich Deep Moisturizing Shampoo – Affordable Weave Shampoo
Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean shampoo is the ideal, affordable choice for those who don’t want to get out the credit card just to buy a weave shampoo. Often, we are guilty of thinking the same misconception about affordable products.
We usually think the quality is not so good, and that it’s likely to create a wreck out of your hair. Well, we proven that to be false in the past, and we’ll continue to do so.
This time, we’ll prove it with Aunt Jackie’s amazing shampoo. This shampoo is a very good choice for those who have trouble maintaining their coarse and curly weaves.
Coarse hair can be rather dry, so it requires some love and moisture. Luckily, this shampoo provides just that. It detangles long weaves well, and we all know the struggle of combing super long weaves after washing.
So, yes, this is a great product. It’s sulfate and paraben-free, so it can be used for all types of natural weaves.
However, shea butter and olive oil will provide moisture that curly hair so desperately needs. The only flaw in that is that olive oil will make your synthetic hair look greasy – so it’s not suitable for synthetic and futura hairpieces.
- Sulfate and paraben-free
- Ideal for curly hair
- Not suitable for synthetic weaves
4. TIGI Bed Head Resurrection Shampoo/Conditioner – Best Shampoo And Conditioner Set
TIGI is one of the household brands for so many hairdresser salons. This is the go-to brand whenever you need something specific for your hair, but have no idea what to choose.
TIGI offers so many great hair products, and the product line we love the most is the Resurrection. The hair mask from this line is a lifesaver for every overprocessed hair, ever.
The shampoo and conditioner set is a killer, too. First of all, it moisturizes. These products are meant for damaged hair, but if you ask us, that just means the extra moisture. Damaged hair needs moisture to go back to a shinier state.
On the other hand, weaves need good maintenance to remain in good shape. So, a moisturizing shampoo, along with the conditioner, will provide your hair with the necessary nutrients your weave requires to last long. It’s suitable for all weave types.
It offers heat-protective agents and it doesn’t strip off hair dye – thanks to the sulfate-free formula. The shampoo is papaya scented and this amazing scent stays in your hair the whole day!
Do note that the conditioner has a strong, even off-putting smell, so remember that if you want to invest in this set.
- Heat protective and color safe
- Suitable for all weaves
- Conditioner has a strong smell
5. SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo – Best Shampoo For Curly Weaves
SheaMoisture created our favorite choice for curly hair and curly weaves. It’s the absolute best shampoo for curls out there, and we’ll tell you exactly why.
Let us start by saying that curly hair doesn’t get enough attention. If you have curly hair naturally, you opted for a curly weave, too. And you know how hard it is to choose products and even hairdressers because so many don’t know how to cut curls properly.
Most of the commercial products are targeted for specific conditions or thick and straight hair. But curls exist and need their fair share of hair care products – and that’s where SheaMoisture comes in with their bestselling coconut shampoo.
The shampoo is enriched with shea butter, so will provide your curly weave with the moisture that curls so desperately require. It cleanses gently, so your curls get a good bounce and airy feel.
The formula is astonishing – it’s sulfate, paraben, and phthalate-free! This is the safe option for synthetic and futura weaves, as well.
This, and all other products made by SheaMoisture, were created cruelty-free. Keep in mind that the cap is a little cheap, so the shampoo can leak out.
- Sulfate, silicone, phthalate, and paraben-free
- Suitable for all weaves
- Ideal for curly weaves
- Cheap cap so it can leak
What To Look For In A Weave Shampoo
Haircare is a booming global industry with thousands of products designed specifically for one hair type, or hair state, condition, etc. There are so many lines of hair products for weave maintenance, so it can be hard to choose a product ideal for you.
Furthermore, there are holy-grail shampoos with great ingredients that will wash your natural hair and your weave good. They will provide moisturization and sheen to your hair, whether it’s your natural hair or you had it weaved in your locks.
But, you have to choose a very good, or even excellent shampoo for your locks, if you want your weave to last a good while. The difference is in the formula. A shampoo that will cleanse your locks and provide a good look is usually just seconds away from a shampoo that will just clean it.
Moreover, let’s talk about the things you should keep in mind when you’re hand-picking the best shampoo for weaves:
- Don’t try to fool us by saying cheap shampoos can do the job just the same as the professional range ones. They cannot – end of the story. We’ll even tell you why.
- Professional grade shampoos contain more of the ingredients that clean your hair but aren’t aggressive while doing so. Also, they don’t contain silicones, which can create buildup on the hair strands and even your scalp. All of which can result in horrible itchiness and dandruff.
- We know you spent a lot of money on your weave – and of course, you should have. You want the hair to be long-lasting and of good quality. Otherwise, what’s the point of getting a weave?
- So, don’t cheap out on shampoo. There are a few more affordable options for a great weave shampoo, and we saw them – but if you ask us, always go professional.
When you’re choosing a shampoo for your natural hair, you have to keep in mind your hair type and choose accordingly. So, it’s truly not surprising to know that you have to pick a shampoo for your weave, according to the type. This is essential and the most important part, trust us on this.
Weaves are made from two basic types of material: synthetic and human hair. Do note how important it is to choose according to the type because different types of shampoo cater to the weave’s needs best.
- So, let’s talk about synthetic weaves first. They are made from synthetic, or plastic microfibers, which are manufactured to resemble human hair. They vary in quality, but they are easily damaged and even ruined completely by heat and friction.
- Synthetic weaves are best cared for with heat protectant shampoos – which keep the hair safe from heat styling or sun damage. Choose a shampoo without sulfates, as they can be too harsh on your hairpiece. A mild surfactant will clean your weave well, don’t worry.
- As for futura weaves, it’s a type of synthetic weave. They are more resistant to heat styling, and they can take in heat as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit. They are also more long-lasting than regular synthetic weaves. There is no need to use a moisturizing or oil-containing shampoo for this type of wig, as it’s already lustrous. If you want to keep it looking good for a longer period, choose a sulfate-free shampoo or even baby shampoo – it will work just fine.
Human Hair Weaves
- And human hair, well, requires even more care. These are the most expensive hairpieces because they’re made from genuine human hair. The human hair is cut, washed, sanitized, and cleaned up to be used as a weave.
- These hairpieces appear more natural and they’re less likely to be recognized as a weave. Also, they withstand heat better than their synthetic counterparts. Just like your hair, it can take a certain amount of heat and processing before it becomes damaged.
- For a human hair weave, it’s best to choose a nutritious, sulfate-free, and silicone-free cleanser. Choose a good formula with moisturizing agents to keep your weave shiny and lustrous for a long time. Our official recommendation is to choose a shampoo with biotin and panthenol – it will prevent damage done to your beloved hairpiece.
Virgin Hair Weaves
- Virgin hairpieces are a special type of natural, human hair. This is the best quality of human hair available on the world market. Virgin hair was never chemically processed or styled with heat. The cuticles are preserved and they withstand more styling than any other type.
- This type of human hair needs the most care. Choose a professional range, moisturizing, and nutritious shampoo and conditioner. So, shampoos with biotin, panthenol, and keratin will preserve your virgin weave for a long, long time.
- Let’s check out the chart for virgin hair:
|Type of hair||Texture|
|Malaysian||Wavy, curly, and straightThick, shiny, and silkyDoesn’t react to humidity|
|Indian||Curly, slightly wavy, and straightFine and thickSilky and lustrous|
|Peruvian||Curly, wavy, and straightThick and coarseAiry and soft|
|Brazilian||Curly, wavy, and straightVery voluminous and coarseVery soft and airy|
Check out our article on the best shampoos for Asian hair, available on the global market.
Best Shampoo For Weaves – Conclusion
To conclude, we did it – we found the best shampoo for weaves! This was super-hard for us, we had no idea how many products are designed for this exact purpose.
Luckily, we found the truly best shampoos out there. As we said, it wasn’t easy, but we know how important it is to have a really good tool to keep your hair looking good. Now, we’ll reveal the best of the best – our top three choices. Without further delay, here they are:
- OGX created an amazing Coconut Miracle Oil line – we love it! It’s the ideal shampoo for all types of weaves, so it deserves to be the ‘best overall’ category winner!
Premium Pick: Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo
- Redken is our top choice for a high-end, premium shampoo. This is the ideal pick if you like to color your weave or style it often – it will not become damaged, no matter what you do!
Budget-Friendly Pick: Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean Lather-rich Deep Moisturizing Shampoo
- Aunt Jackie’s Oh So Clean shampoo is the ideal cleanser if you’re looking to clean the weave, without breaking the bank. It may be affordable, but it does a good job of maintaining your hairpiece!